Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Can Walk Confidently Alone... Right?

"That is a pretty heavy sigh, is something wrong?” I spun around quickly to find a very beautiful young woman staring at me with concern in her sparkling gold eyes. She was leading a chestnut mare from the stall across from me.
“Oh, ah no.” I cleared my throat. “I was just thinking about my religion and now my head is spinning with confusing thoughts.” She smiled knowingly causing me to smile back.
“I see. You do not seem to be from around these parts. Very few people have as light colored hair as yours or your strange eyes.” She looked at me intensely a moment before realizing what she just said. “OH! I did not mean that in a bad way. I think your hair and eyes are very pretty.” A light blush crept across her face and I began to laugh.
“No offense taken. Even from where I am from my eyes are a bit strange. Have you been to this festival before?”
“Yes, I come every year. It is a beautiful festival and the village goes all out every year. It is kind of funny to so how they will out do themselves each festival. Would you like to accompany me around?”
“Sure. I don’t know this place and I’d like to learn more about the festival and Nyx.”
“You do not know much about the goddess?”
“No, this is actually the first time I’ve heard of her.”
“Well, I shall tell you all I know about the people here and their religion. If you do not mind of course.”
“No, please. I do like learning new things, especially religions.”
“Then I will meet you outside the stable.” I nodded as she walked her mare out and I got Aries ready to walk around the village. I lead him out next to the mare and got onto his back. “Not using a saddle?” The woman asked with a smile.
“Nope, I like bareback. It’s a lot more comfortable for me and him.” I patted Aries who whinnied in agreement. “By the way, my name is Tristis. I seem to be forgetting to introduce myself lately.” I laughed as I stuck out my hand.
“It should be I who apologies, I talked to you first.” She gripped my hand and said, “I am Anita Sheehan. It is a pleasure to meet you.” For the rest of the day we rode around and Anita pointed out everything and anything that had to do with the festival tonight. She gave me a long lesson on whom Nyx was as a goddess and to these people. I found it fascinating and asked many questions about her. As Anita talked I kept comparing the God I believe in to this goddess only a few hours ago I knew nothing about. I found it interesting yet I knew this religion was not for me, but I was truly glad to learn about it. This place is so alive, with people and their beliefs. I smiled to myself as Anita continued to teach me more about this world.
The sun was beginning its decline behind the mountains when Anita and I made it back to the stable. “That was fun.” I smiled as I slid from Aries’ back and started to clean his slightly damp coat.
“Agreed. It has been awhile since I just rode around and talked to someone.” She smiled brightly as she also groomed her mare. “You have a beautiful horse. What is his name?”
“Aries. He’s definitely a wonderful horse and a loyal one too.” I smiled lovely down at him.
“Aries… a nice strong name. I have seen many strong horses, but he is in a class all his own. He looks like a war horse. Where did you get him?”
I hesitated a minute, “Well, I happened upon him one day and we have been together ever since.” I thought out logically. She doesn’t need to know I technically stole him from the prince of the country that’s her enemy. Sin of omission I know…
“Are you okay?”
I looked up into her eyes then shook my head, “Yeah, just thinking about when I first met him. What about your horse? What’s her name?”
“This wonderful girl is Eclipse. She has been by my side for the past two years and is as loyal as they come. Right my good girl?” Eclipse neighed happily in response. “Well, we should be off. The festival is about to begin and we do not want to miss anything, especially if this is your first Nyx Festival.” We lead our horses into their stalls and hurried to the giant feast in the middle of the village. There were a few speeches before the feast began. The feast was loud and joyous with a lot of conversations and laughter. As I sat there among people I knew and did not know I smiled at myself forgetting for the first time in a while that I was on a mission and that at any minute all this could end. As the night drew on I laughed with everyone, ate with them, danced, and played new games I did not even knew existed.
At some point in the night I got separated from Anita and ended up walking around alone. I smiled as I watched the children and adults alike dance to the joyous music, laugh with one another, and overall just having a wonderful time. As I weaved through the streets I suddenly got hit with a feeling of isolation. I looked around as saw everyone paired with at least one other person and when I looked around myself, I saw I was alone. Why do I suddenly care? I mean I can deal with walking around alone. I’m a strong independent person who doesn’t need someone else always by me. Right? Suddenly I was jostled out of my thoughts when something hit my legs causing me to stumble back a bit.
“Oops, sorry.” A young boy cried as he tried to regain his balance from the crash.
I looked down and smiled, “It’s okay, just be careful next time.” I laughed as I nudged him forwards. “You may want to hurry before your friends leave you behind.”
The boy nodded his head and dashed off after his friends. However, he did not get very far before he turned around to face me, “Are you okay, miss?”
“Huh?” I asked startled.
“You are smiling and laughing and enjoying the festivities, but there is sadness in your smile. You seem kind of isolated from everyone else.”
The boy’s big grey eyes bore into me as if he could see right through me. A bit shaken I replied, “I’m fine. Nothing as of late has caused me to be sad or anything.”
The boy looked at me a little longer before saying, “Okay, have a good night, miss.” The boy smiled, then turned and chased after his friends. Am I really that transparent? What is wrong with me? I shook my head and continued walking.
Before I realized it, I found myself outside of the village and on top of a hill that looked over it. I let out a large breath before collapsing onto the ground. The village is so pretty from here. All the lights look like stars or fireflies. I once again smiled and then closed my eyes as the cool breeze washed over me. I started to quietly sing a lullaby to myself as I soaked in the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Double header just for you lovely people =) So yesterday my cousin surprised us with a lovely present... two leopard geckos! They are the cutest things ever. And they're still babies ^_^

Enjoy!