Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I'm a Working Girl Now

Noon light woke me the next day. I groggily swung my legs over the edge and sat up. Yawning, I headed down stairs to get food. I looked down into the main hall and found that a few people were eating. With a sigh I walked down the stairs and straight to a table. After I took a seat I let my eyes drift over the room. The place was not fancy, just comfortable. As I was looking around the woman came to my table.
“I see you’re finally up. How are you feeling?”
“Okay thank you.”
“So what would you like to eat and drink?”
“I’ll have anything. I’m not a picky eater.” The woman nodded, and then left to get my order. Minutes later she returned with an egg sandwich, beacon, and water.
“Here you go dear.” She placed the plate of food and cup on the table before me.
“Thank you.”
“No problem. Anything else you’d like?”
“No thanks.” With that she once again left me to my own accords. I ate slowly and quietly. No one came over to talk to me, but many stared. ‘What was a young girl like me traveling alone for?’ the answer was simple, but I was not going to tell them. After finishing my meal I got up and headed to the bar area.
“I could have gotten that deary.” The woman said in a serious tone.
“I actually wanted to talk to you for a sec.” I replied, handing her my plate and cup.
“About what?”
“Could you hire me? I have barely enough money to pay you and I have no place to stay.”
The woman was quiet for a moment thinking. “Don’t you have a family?”
“No…”
“No one to stay with or lend you money?”
“Not really. I have one friend, but I do not know when I will be seeing him again.”
“I see.” She thought a bit more and then sighed. “Alright, you can help out around here; cleaning and such. Don’t expect to be paid too much because I can’t. Okay?”
“Yes, thank you!” I smiled with delight radiating off of me.
“No problem as long as you don’t mess anything up.” Then she motioned for me to follow her. We went into the back room and she threw an apron at me. “My name is Luna and welcome to the 4 Leaf Inn and Tavern.”
“Glad to be here. Oh and my name is Tristis.”
“That’s quite an unusual name.”
“I am an unusual person.” I shrugged. Luna laughed and showed me around. She instructed me in the numerous jobs I would be helping her with. To be honest I was thrilled to be working at the inn.
The day flew by and time to close arrived. We locked up, cleaned everything, and headed towards our rooms. Before we parted ways I hesitated. “Luna?”
“Yes, dear?”
“I can only do this temporarily. Eventually I am going to have to leave.”
“I know dear. No job is permanent at your age, so don’t fret. Okay?”
I nodded and walked to my room. Before falling asleep I thought back to what Luna had said. I laughed quietly to myself and muttered, “How wrong you are Luna… how wrong you are.” Then I turned over and fell asleep.
I worked at the 4 Leaf Inn and Tavern for two months before my time to leave arrived. It was like any other day: the sun rose, birds sang, and the tavern was getting ready to open. The only difference was what decided to appear on me. I was getting dressed when something black caught my eye. Looking in a mirror I pulled down part of my shirt, so my shoulder was exposed, and sighed in dismay. Black tattoos wove themselves across my shoulders and back. With another sigh I finished getting dressed, packed my few belongings, and headed to my last day of work. Warmth greeted me along with Luna’s singing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, we have a name. I hope the length is okay and that you're liking it so far.