Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Their Homeward Bound

Ye have an odd way of talkin’ to royals.” He shook his head.
I bit my lip. “I didn’t offend them did I?” Realizing for the first time that I was talking to them as if they were friends and of the same social status as me, and not like they were royals.
“”They didn’t seem to be minding, just be careful, lass.” He warned. “Ye friend may not mind bein’ called by her name, but them high status people may take offense to ye not addressin’ her as Princess.”
“Politics are difficult.” I slowly shook my head. “Well, I’m gunna go pack my stuff. Thank you for everything, you have been great to me. How can I ever repay you?”
“Keep protectin’ the King and Princess and I be happy. Also, send a letter to keep me updated on how thin’s be with ye.” He winked and I laughed.
“I’ll do my best.” I hugged him and headed back to my room. I packed my bags to only find I was missing a few items I lost during the fight. I sighed and decided to just get new equipment later, but for now I was in need of sleep. I flopped on the bed, which I instantly regretted, and fell into a dreamless sleep.
I groggily opened my eyes to pitch black. *Are my eyes open?* I questioned as I touched my face and proceeded to poke myself in the eye. *Oh, yep they are in fact open.* I rolled on my back and stretched. I slowly picked myself up and got out of the comfy bed, heading to the window. I judged that I had about a half hour before meeting the others, so I walked over to my bag and rummaged through it. I found a forest green tunic and dark brown pants. I changed into them, relaced my boots, and slung the bag over my back. Remembering that someone else would get Aries ready, I headed down to the commons to drop off my key. I placed it on the bar and turned to leave.
“Where do ye think yer going?” I turned to see the owner and his daughter along with a bunch of the villagers swarming into the commons.
Taken back I replied, “I was returning the key and heading to the gate.”
“Ye weren’t goin’ to say bye?” He raised a red eyebrow.
“I didn’t want to wake anyone.”
“Come now lass! Ye saved the village, we’d be mighty angry if ye didn’t say bye.” Everyone in unison agreed and I was soon surrounded by thankful villagers. Every way I turned I was being pulled into hugs, patted on the back, or given a handshake. I was not used to this show of thanks that tears started to drip from my eyes. *Humans are amazing creatures.* The last person to thank me was the tavern owner. He pulled me into a hug and let me cry into his shoulder. “Shh, lassie. If ye ever need friends, know ye got us. Okay?” He took my face into his large hands and smiled.
“Aye, sir. I will.” I smiled and wiped away the stray liquid. I turned to everyone and called, “Thank you for everything. I hope to see you all soon!” I waved as everyone shouted a good-bye. I walked out the door to see the sun starting to peak over the horizon. *Ooops, best get going.* I started jogging to the rendezvous and looked behind me once more before turning the corner and having the tavern disappear from sight.
“Good morning, Lady Tristis.” King Able greeted.
“Good morning, Tristis.” Anita smiled.
“Good morning, King Able, Anita. How was your night?” I asked as I walked over to an eager Aries.
“Very well. This village has been very kind.” He smiled.
“I slept wonderfully. How about you?” Anita asked back.
“My headache’s gone so I count that as a win.” I turned to Aries and cooed, “And how are you? Because of you I got medical attention.” He whinnied and shook his head. I laughed quietly and patted him one last time before stepping up to his left. A guard stepped up beside me to help me up. “Thank you, but I’m fine.” I smiled gently at him and then hoisted myself onto Aries bare back.
“Told you she prefers to ride bareback.” Anita grinned at her brother.
“Very few do. Are we ready?” King Able asked. Everyone nodded that they were and the journey to the capital began.
We traveled the whole day with only a few breaks in between to eat and rest, and then we were back on horseback. Anita talked excitably to her brother as she told him of the festival she adored so much. I was quiet for most of the ride, until a lone soldier rode beside me and started talking to me. “How long have you known Princess Anita?” I looked over to see a mid twenty worn face looking at me with hard yet kind eyes.
“A few days. I met her the morning of the festival. I was brushing Aries when she struck up a conversation and she showed me the village. I learned a lot about the religion around here from her.” I smiled.
“You didn’t know about the goddess Nyx?” He seemed genuinely surprised.
“No.” I lightly brushed. “Where I am from there is only one God and it’s the only religion.”
“Wow, I thought it was well known everywhere.”
“I live far from here so it’s no surprise I’ve never heard about it.”
“Far from here?” A small trace of suspicion laced into his words.
“Yes, a place well hidden that no one knows about.” My mind faded to my home and longing shown in my eyes.
“Are you alright, Tristis?” I looked up to see Anita and King Able looking at me.
“Ah, yes. I just haven’t seen my home in a while I’ve become a bit homesick.” I smiled gently.
“How long is ‘a while’?” Anita asked.
“Years.”
“Why do you not return?”
“Too much to do, no time to go back I suppose.”
Anita looked at me long and hard before accepting my answer. “You should return sometime, I bet your family misses you.”
“Sadly that is untrue, I have no family to return to.”
“You are an orphan?” King Able asked.
“Yes, for as long as I can remember.”
“What about friends? You seem to be traveling alone.” The guard commented.
“I see them from time to time and they keep me updated.”
“What keeps you from returning home even for a short time?” King Able asked.
“All in due time but for now I cannot answer your question. I am sorry.”
“When the king asks you a question, you are to ask!” The captain of the guard grumbled.
“It is fine, Roland. I believe she will tell us when she is ready.” King Able calmed his loyal guard.
“Yes, My Lord.” Roland kept his eyes on me for the rest of the journey. I paid no mind and easily slipped from the back of Aries. The horse looked behind to see what I was up to. I patted his neck and walked beside him, giving my legs a much needed stretch. The soldier from earlier looked down and ended up accompanying me. We talked about anything and everything, always finding a new topic to discuss. Finally night began to descend and the group stopped for the night. The soldiers quickly set up camp and a few disappeared into the nearby woods to catch some dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've decided to get as much written as I can this semester since this will be my only light semester. So here's another update. Cheers!