Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Soothing Darkness

Lady Tristis, is there anything you can tells us about yourself?” Roland asked as we munched on the food.
“Roland, that is quite rude.” King Able scolded.
“It’s okay, not knowing anything about me is rather suspicious.” I leaned back and thought. “Let’s see, I’m an orphan. I believe my parents died when I was young and I was brought up with the other children. Where I come from, women and men fight side by side, although we prefer not to fight at all. We have a system of fighters and seers. At a young age, children learn both sides (what it takes to be a fighter and seer) and when they a bit older they specialize into either group. When they become around 11/12, a fighter is matched up with a seer and they become bonded companions. The seer watches over the fighter as he or she is given missions or jobs to do for the council. The duties don’t usually involve any kind of fighting, but if an occasion arises the fighter will be the one to incapacitate the opponent.”
“What are you?” The soldier I have been talking to over the course of the journey asked.
“In my pairing, I’m the fighter.” I took a bite out of my dinner as Anita asked the next question.
“Where is your partner then? I have not met anyone since knowing you.”
“Vay is busy overseeing the political side of our job. You could say I’m an elite for the government so I work a lot and as you know rarely home. Therefore he is often there keeping the council updated and doing the boring paper work and meetings that come with any job.” I knew I was candy coating my job and omitting the truth to why I never returned home, but they did not need to know the inner workings of my government.
“That seems lonely.” Anita replied.
“A bit, but from time to time he comes and visits.” A smile spread across my face. “Plus, I’m the one who gets to meet new people, so I’m never really a lone for long.”
“I suppose.” Anita thought. “I do not think I would like your job too much, I would miss my family.”
“And we would miss you.” King Able smiled. She returned the smile tenfold and then yawned.
“Oh, excuse me.” She giggled embarrassed.
“Do not worry, but we should all go to sleep for at first light we shall ride.” King Able declared and everyone got up. I stretched my weary limbs and settled down on my sleeping mat; Aries right beside me. I drifted off into the anticipated oblivion.
The pattern of leaving at dawn, riding the all day, taking very few breaks, and ending the day with dinner and bed was repeated for two weeks. Half way into the third week it was announced that we were only a day’s ride from the capitol. Everyone was giddy that night, knowing that by sunset the next day we would finally reach the castle.
I was deep a sleep and desperately wanted to wake up. First, my dreams started with my first job as a Finis. I could feel the mystic shackles searing my skin as I did my best not to erase a world that deserved to live. Then it switched over to another world, then another, and then another. A collage of destroyed worlds meshed together until I was standing before the council who sneered, jeered, and decreed I would never return to my home. The hate and their cold eyes bore into me, freezing my insides until it was hard for me to breathe. Suddenly, my back started to burn. I silently screamed in agony as I fell to my knees and clutched my back. Immense heat radiated from my tattoos causing my hands to flinch away from my skin. *Why is this happening? My tattoos never burn!* I opened my eyes to see a calm grassy plain with a clear sky that had birds happily flying through it. I tiredly and painfully placed my hands on the ground and cried out in surprise as the plain caught on fired and everything around me was slowly eaten by the flames.
I bolted up and gasped for air, realizing it was just a nightmare. I looked around bewildered and wiped my forehead of sticky sweat. With shaking hands I touched my back; no burning sensation or solar heat. I shook my head and got up, knowing that sleep would not return to me this night. I rolled up my mat, packed my bag, and went for a walk. I kept to the shadows, not wanting to alert or be questioned by the guards. I was heading to the woods when a voice startled me.
“Lady Tristis?” I turned my head to see King Able a few paces from me. I smiled gently and then disappeared into the woods. I heard him approach the wood’s edge, but come no closer. I left him be and blended with the dark, needing the silence and comfort of nature and its creatures.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short chapter for tonight. Enjoy!