Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Deepening Relationships

The announcer opened the door, pounded the ground to get the hall’s occupants attention, and then announced our presence. “Now entering: Princess Anita Sheehan, Lady Rayna Hart, and Lady Tristis Nox.” We entered the hall one by one and everyone stood to greet us. The long table was full of people I knew and people I did not know. Anita was placed on the left side of her brother, Rayna was seated next her to father, while I was stuck between two people I did not know. The two women looked me over and turned their noses in disgust. *Great, once again I have to deal with people who judge me before they know me.* I looked up to see that the person right across from me was Robert. *Thank you God for placing at least one person I know near me and who I can stand.* I smiled at him and he shyly returned it.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, we are gathered here tonight for a very special and important announcement.” Everyone’s head turned to the head of the table and listened to what King Able had to say. “It is my honor to announce that Lady Sierra Ayliff and I have decided to be wed in three months time.” The table broke out into cheers and shouts of congratulations resonated through the hall. King Able held up his hand to silence the boisterous crowd. “In honor we shall feast tonight and tomorrow I will tell my people and we shall rejoice as a nation.” The food was called in and the feast began.
I looked down towards Anita and found her glowing with happiness for her beloved brother and his future bride. Tristan, whom sat next to Anita, talked happily with the newly betrothed and offered a sincere congratulation to his possible brother-in-law. My attention was drawn back to my side of the table as a high pitched voice tried to talk to Robby. He remained quiet as she went on and on about things he probably could care less about and looked incredibly uncomfortable. After some time, his eyes ventured off of his plate and landed on mine. *Poor Robby, he needs saving.* His eyes begged me to help him in any way, shape, or form.
“Robby, I’ve been wondering something.” I smiled knowingly at him.
“Yes?” He asked thankfully.
“I was talking.” The high pitched voice girl pouted.
“Oh I’m sorry, I thought you were talking to someone else. Like these nice ladies to my right.” I smiled at them and then went back to Robby. “Do you want to take over your father’s business or do you want to venture off and do something on your own?” I didn’t mean to be rude to these girls, but when rescuing a friend one must make sacrifices.
“I am taking over father’s business. I have taken after my father in his love of weapons crafting.”
“You do?”
“Yes, I may not look it but I am an okay swordsman.”
“I would like to spar with you some time if you are okay with that?”
“It would be an honor. You are an incredible sword fighter. Is the slim sword your main weapon of choice?”
“No, I actually prefer knives or daggers. Wounding and disabling is what I go for, I’m not much for killing.” *If it is my choice of course.*
“I agree, I would prefer not killing to having to end their life.”
“What is your weapon of choice? I know your father’s is his sword.”
“I am actually torn with that question. Swords are magnificent weapons and the detail that can go into them can be a sight to see, but I also like to fight with a staff. The wood carving that goes into a well crafted one can make it extremely beautiful. It is one of those weapons that no one really thinks about until someone learned in it fights and shows that it can hold its own against anything such as a sword.”
“I agree, no one really thinks about a walking stick being a weapon, but when put in the right hands it can be someone’s worst enemy. I have trained with staffs before and those things can do some real damage; broken a few ribs and bones.” We talked some more about different weapons and how they are crafted. From the conversation I had with him throughout the meal, I noticed that although he was quiet and shy, once he was comfortable with someone he could talk for hours. The girls around us got bored trying to butt into the conversation and finally let us be to talk about weapons.
Late into the night the meal finally ended and people started to leave for their houses or places of stay. I bid the Hart family farewell and turned to wait for King Able. Once the last person was gone I approached the King so I could speak with him for a moment. “King Able may I speak with you for a moment.”
“Yes you may.” He turned, said good-night to his sister and fiancé, and then turned back to me. “What do you wish to talk about, Lady Tristis?”
“I have some important things to talk to you about that will take a while, may we talk tomorrow? I know it is late and the matter can wait until we have had some sleep.”
He was quiet for a second thinking about what tomorrow would be like. “I believe I am free in the early afternoon. If you wish to speak then, I will send a page to find you when I am free.”
“Perfect, sir. I will stay around the castle grounds so I will be easily found.”
“Then, until tomorrow.” He kissed my knuckles. “Sleep well, Lady Tristis.”
“And you, King Able.” I bowed to him and headed back to my room. Not bothering to find a sleeping gown, I stripped off my boots, shirt, and pants and fell quickly into a dream filled sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this scene was mainly written for two reasons: first to announce the engagement, and second so Tris could talk to Robby. I really like his character although he isn't really mapped out yet, I just think he's cute. I actually had some trouble with what Tris would call him. Did I want her to call him Robert (scrapped due to it being long, lazy I know), Robby (which kinda sounds childish), or Rob? I ended up with Robby so readers wouldn't get confused with her younger friend and I think it's cute =3 Cheers!