Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Let's Learn the Art

The dream was much like the last one I had, but this time there was no one there to save me. To some degree I saw this as a plus it meant I was not shouting my emotional distress and interrupting Vay’s sleep. However, it did mean I had to live through the entire dream until I woke myself up. I bolted upright, panting as cold sweat glimmered on my body. I brushed my fingers though my hair and calmed my breathing before deciding to get up. I wrapped a sheet around my body and walked over to the closet and found a simple outfit to wear for the day. Once fully dressed and my hair was presentable, I walked down to the dining hall where I found Anita eating.
“Morning, Anita.” I smiled and stretched.
“Good morning, Tristis. How are you feeling?” Her eyes scanning over the visible cuts and bruises.
“A bit sore, but not in bad shape.” I smiled and sat across from her. “How are you doing this fine morning?”
“Fine, though today will prove to be busy.” She sighed, but grinned nonetheless.
“Oh, why is that?”
“I have to talk with ambassadors and go over peace treaties and other princess esque things.”
“Doesn’t your brother usually do that? Or is he very busy today doing kingly things?”
“He actually had to leave early this morning. There was a skirmish on the border between our land and King Lucas’ land that he had to take care of.”
“He left?” My stomach dropped; I really needed to talk to him.
“Yes, were you supposed to talk to him today?”
“Yeah, but I guess it can wait.” Without thinking my lips pursed to the side as I thought. *The more time that passes, the more danger this world is in. I need to warn King Able fast before it is too late. My tattoos are bordering dangerous.*
“You okay, Tristis?”
“Huh? Oh yes, just thinking.” I smiled reassuringly. Anita finished her meal before me and excused herself to go work. I ate quietly until Thorton came out to see how I was doing. We talked as I finished my meal and I got all the gossip about the palace and kingdom. I know I am not supposed to care about these things, but even an angel needs some sort of entertainment when stuck on a humanoid world for months on end. Finally it came time to part, and I headed out the dining hall door.
“Lady Tristis, King Able left this for you.” One of the butlers handed me a folded, sealed piece of paper.
“Oh, thank you. Have a nice day.” I smiled and waved. He bowed and left to do his thing. I walked outside and sat on the grass with my back to an old sturdy tree. Using my finger I broke the wax seal and read.

Lady Tristis,
I was called away early this morning due to some fighting at the border between our land and King Lucas’. I will be away for no more than a week. We may speak after I have returned. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I will talk with you soon.
--King Able Sheehan

*Darn him being a king who actually needs to take care of things.* I laughed to myself quietly at my thoughts. *What was I expecting, he is in the middle of an almost war, of course he has to deal with these things.* I stuffed the letter into my pocket and got up to explore the town for real this time instead of being in a doubting haze. I wandered from stall to stall to see what these people had to offer. The people in the town were full of life and seemed to care about their king and princess very much. I heard stories about the siblings and about the deceased king. He reminded me very much of King Lucas and figured I would have enjoyed meeting him if he was still alive. I did not return to the palace for lunch because there were people offering me samples of their products and by noon I was too full to even considered having lunch. I had to start rejecting samples, but promised to try some when I was less full. They smiled happily and went back to offering to other willing people. I laughed at how much life this place presented.
I continued my observing and mingling through most of the afternoon and then started entering shops to see what they had to offer. My favorite stores had to have been the clothing and weaving shops because of the intricate designs they were able to create. I stood in awe at the abilities these people had. After some time I came across a shop that I ended up staying at for the rest of the day.
“So this is where you create masterful pieces of dangerous art.” I grinned as I walked up to Jonathan and Robby.
“Tristis, how are you?” Jonathan smiled as he wiped his dirty hands and offered it.
“I am well, been sightseeing all day.” I replied and took his hand. “So you actually work and not just oversee?”
“Yes ma’am, I like to know the weapons that are being sold to the people; make sure they are high quality. Plus, I like to know the people who are buying my weapons, I do not want a murder buying one of them.”
“I understand.” I smiled. “How are you, Robby? You don’t mind me calling you that do you? Cuz I can stop.”
“It is fine, and I am doing well.” He smiled shyly.
“Do you mind if I watch while you work? I promise not to get in your way.” I smiled like a little kid.
“That is fine by me, just be careful okay?” Jonathan grinned.
“Will do, sir!” I saluted and took a seat close to them, but out of the way. I talked to them as they worked on all different types of weapons. They were very kind and seemed to enjoy answering my questions about the process of crafting a weapon. *I never got to learn since having Angelic weapons have a bit of a different process than human weapons do. Wish I could visit the sect of angels that create our weapons… Oh well.* The hours flew by as we talked and I learned about crafting. But the time came for the shop to close and Jonathan dismissed himself because he had a meeting with a fellow about a weapon he wanted crafted.
“Want to go eat? I found a tavern that has some really good food.” I offered.
“Sure, I have nothing else to do. Give me a moment to clean up and change.” I nodded and followed him to the back where I waited as he did his thing. Ten minutes later, Robby was locking up and we headed towards the tavern.