Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Knives are Fun

Two weeks passed as the gossip was passed and lost its intrigued. I tried my best to stay out of the lime light, barely succeeding in that feat. My nightmares continued, but to no avail was I able to hear what King Lucas so desperately yelled at me. Every time I woke, fear caused my heart to race and I found myself gasping for breath. During the day I hung out mostly with Rayna, when she was not called away by the other rich daughters and Robby when he was not working. On occasion I was able to talk with Anita, but since her brother was out calming up-rises, she had to be the one to take over the political aspects in the capital. She worked almost day and night, and I was beginning to worry about her. However, every time I spoke to her about it, she brushed it off and told me not to worry. I backed off, but kept a firm eye on her and I had a feeling Tristan did too. I was able to get to know him better as time pasted and began to see that he was perfect for the princess of this land.
News that the King was returning tomorrow reached my eyes as I was finishing up my lunch. “So did you hear the exciting new?” Thorton grinned.
“News?” I raised my eyebrow.
“A very reliable source says that the King is returning tomorrow with a guest. Everyone is buzzing about. Congrats, Tristis, you are no longer important. Gossip wise anyways.” He smiled with a wink.
“That is excellent news.” I smiled. “Do you know roughly when?”
“He should be here for dinner, but that is all I know.”
I nodded and then asked, “Do you need help with cleaning up?”
“If you do not mind or tell anyone.” He laughed and led the way to the kitchen. I chuckled back and followed him to the back. I placed the dirty dishes and utensils near the water and said farewell to my friend. I walked to the training area and began stretching for the next ten minutes. After loosening up my muscles, I selected a pair of knives and went through some training I learned so long ago. At some point I was asked to help teach the pages how to fight with knives. I showed them the proper way to hold knives, the best way to protect oneself with one, how to strike with them, and finally how to throw them. It was a great source of entertainment as I watched the pages try to hit a stationary object and most of the time failing. After they tried several times, I would instruct them on a better way to throw so it would at least hit point side.
As the day passed I became better friends with the training captain and his mates. We talked and laughed as we watched over the pages’ training. As I spent time with them, I started regretting not talking to them sooner. *Can’t do anything about it now, plus new friends will only cause more pain.* The light started to fade and I split off from the captain, realizing I had only a few minutes until dinner would be served. I found some water and cleaned the sweat from my face and neck and washed my hands from any dirt that hand collected on them. Once I was satisfied with myself I headed inside so I would not be reprimanded for being late.
I arrived just in time and sat next to Anita. “How are you doing, Anita?”
“Fine, it is hard but nothing I cannot handle.” She smiled. “How are you doing?”
“Quite well. I was able to help train the pages today. It was entertaining to watch them try to fight and throw knives.” I chuckled. “It brought back memories of when I was first learning.”
“And how were you with the knives when you first began?”
“Terrible! It took my forever just to strike the person with the pointed side, and all it did was bounce. It took me hours of private training to be as awesome as I am now.” A large grin spread across my face.
“It paid off well, I have seen you train and fight with your weapon of choice, and you are a powerful force to reckon with. I would always feel safe fighting by your side.”
“Thank you.” It was heartwarming to know. “Not many people would admit that, especially when they find out that I have no interest in killing, only incapacitating my opponent.”
“Even if you only knock them out, I would still feel safe knowing you are next to me.” She smiled sincerely at me and I smiled back. The rest of the meal was pleasant and I went to bed content.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess who's coming back!? XD Cheers!