Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

A Lovely Day for a Stroll... Or Not

The early morning was cool and a gentle breeze blew over me. The hours passed slowly and my journey seemed endless. Barren land lay all around me and I tired of the nothingness fast. It was not until late noon that I finally saw another soul on the infinite road. I stopped and observed the man I saw. He seemed normal as in nonthreatening. He appeared to be a regular farmer, working to make an honest living. Taking a deep breath I headed over to where he worked.
Being so focused on his work he did not notice my approach. I stopped a few feet away from him and gently cleared my throat to alert him of my presence. Within a second he lifted his eyes and looked at me with suspicion. “What you want?” he grumbled as he sized me up.
With a calm, unwavering voice I replied, “How far is the capital?”
“Why you wanna go there?” suspicion coated every word he spoke.
“My friend is there.” I smiled trying hard to get on the man’s good side.
He did not speak right away; we just stared at one another. My patience was slowly drifting away and I sighed. “Why do you hate the capital so much?”
He growled, “It aint the capital, it’s the king! Where have you been? You a spy of the damned king?”
I threw my hands up and moved back as he advanced. “No I’m not a spy! I live far away from here so I don’t know much of what’s going on.” He stopped his advancing and looked me in the eye.
“I’ll believe you… for now.” Just then he realized I was alone. “Are you alone?”
“Ah…yes.” I was confused by his sudden concern.
“Why you doing that? These parts are dangerous enough for men, but for a girl… you’re insane!” he shook his head disapprovingly.
“What’s so dangerous? I haven’t seen anyone since I started my journey on this road.”
“Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aint there. Stay here.” He then disappeared into his house leaving me lost to his warning. Looking around I pulled my collar down and looked at my tattoos. The raven black had faded, barely noticeable difference, and dread seeped into my veins. I let go of my collar and fully scanned my surroundings noticing, for the first time, invisible eyes boring into me.
A stick broke behind me and I turned to see the man had returned. “I can’t and won’t take you to the capital, but I will help you out. I got you some food and a dagger. Not much, but it’s better than nothing.” He handed me a satchel of food and a crude looking dagger.
“You don’t have to give me these things. I’ll be fine on the rest of the journey.” I tried hard not to accept these gifts, especially the food, but he would not have it. After arguing for some time I gave up.
“Godspeed young one. The capital is four days south. DO NOT travel at night and always be on guard.” Then he turned around to continue his work.
“Thank you.” I bowed to him before turning and leaving never to see the man again. As I walked the lonely road I began to wish I knew the man’s name, but then again maybe it was better I never learned it.
The day passed slowly and a never-ending sea of greens, yellows, and browns flooded my vision. Boredom became my companion and I wondered if insanity would soon take its place. I would have stopped for the night, but the eyes of the unseen kept me going. As the sun started to set panic pulsated through my body. No houses existed where I was and the shadows of the night were starting to creep my out. I looked to the sky, but no smoke was to be seen. *Why do I always get the places that are deserted?*
A howl broke me out of my thoughts and my head jerked to the side. To my horror four giant wolves and a dozen large people stood to my left. *Just my luck!* I cursed as I ran from them, but of course I was too slow and was quickly surrounded.
“Who are you? And why are you traveling on our land?” the taller of the men asked.
I was scared silent for a moment before stuttering out, “I… ah…” my eyes scanned the circle as I tried to collect my thoughts. Growls started vibrating through the air making it even harder to concentrate.
“Well?!” the man boomed impatiently.
“Quiet your wolves and I’ll be able to think!” I snapped back.
“Silence.” The sound of the wolves quieted to a low hum.
“Thank you.” I muttered as I closed my eyes and calmed down. With a deep breath I began, “I’m a traveler. I’m traveling though this land to get to the capital to see my friend.”
“Likely story.” He said, then he shouted something in a language I did not know and suddenly someone grabbed me from behind.
“Let go!” I shouted as I jobbed my captor in the stomach. I turned to run, but instead ran into a cloth. Seconds later darkness blurred my vision and I slowly slumped forward.
“Bring her with us, we’ll see who she really is!” was shouted over the roar of men and wolves. The last thing I knew I was being lifted, then I entered the isolation of nothingness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tris is in trouble now.