Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Immortalibus Deus!

I felt groggy as my senses started working again. I flicked my eyes open and saw an unknown room. I shot up and swayed as the world around me spun. Sickness threatened to over take me, but after waiting the room no longer moved and I felt better. When I was sure I was not going to puke I scanned the room, taking everything in.
I was still surveying my surroundings when a creaking of the door startled me. Immediately, and without thinking, I jumped up onto the bed and got into a defensive position. I narrowed my eyes as a young maid came in and became startled. She gasped in surprise and dropped everything she was holding.
“Don’t be so defensive and scare my help.” A young voice calmly said as he picked up sheets and clothing.
My eyes moved to a young man of about 25. I quickly took him in before I even considered relaxing. He was several inches taller than me, roughly 6’1”, had short brown hair, and graphite grey eyes. “Who are you?” I growled as he carelessly walked to the window a little ways off from me.
“I am Carson Vay. I helped you when you passed out after defeating those mongrels. I must say I am impressed that you crushed so many men.”
“What? A girl can’t beat men! Is that what you think?” I viciously shot at him.
“No, I am not saying that at all. Not many, including men, could do what you did. I’m just very impressed.”
I watched him and analyzed everything he had just said. Finally, I relaxed a bit and sat down, but not so I was completely defenseless. “Why did you help me?”
“You were hurt. Why would I not help you?” he replied with some surprise in his voice.
With only a second’s pause I asked, “What’s your motive?”
“What do you mean?”
“There’s always an ulterior motive.”
“I will admit after seeing you fight, I want you to fight for me. But even if you did not I still would have helped.”
“Like you helped me when I was being attacked?”
“You were doing fine on your own.”
“Still could have used your help… idiot.” I whispered the last part and gazed straight ahead. No one talked after that and I welcomed the silence for I needed to think.
Then the door opened and I turned my head to see two maids at the door. “Sir,” one said as the other entered. “You are wanted by your father.”
“Thank you.” Then he turned back to me. “I hope you feel better. Goodbye for now.” Then he gracefully left with the maid.
I did not move until the maid cleaning my room re-entered. “I’m sorry I scared you. I normally don’t act that way to strangers.”
She shyly looked down and said, “It’s okay, Miss.”
“I’m Tristis by the way. Please don’t call me Miss.”
“Aah… okay, mis—Tristis.” Then she continued her work.
As she worked I watched her or gazed out the window. The view was beautiful and the sun was high in the sky, warming the room. My stomach started to growl and I looked down. “Immortalibus Deus” I shouted in surprise as I jumped off the bed.
Once again startling the maid she asked with surprise coloring her voice, “What’s wrong?!”
“What the hell am I wearing?” I looked down at my white, long nightgown.
“Oh. Your clothes were dirty so we changed you. They were stained with blood so we discarded them. Everything else your dagger, satchel, and other personal items are in the chest at the foot of your bed.”
“Oh thank you.” I said as I inclined my head. She mimicked me and left to do other things. I walked over to the window and sighed. *I have only about five months, if that, to succeed. This was going to be hard.* I gazed once more at my tattoos, then changed, put my dagger on my hip, and left to wonder the castle. In my travels I found a large room with many people in it. All were heavily armored and equipped and talking loudly. I watched for another moment before going to walk away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Immortalibus Deus -- By the immortal God!
Do you like Carson? Do you not? Or is it too early to tell? Please tell, I'm curious!