You'll Never Outrun What Waits for You Tomorrow

Hammer to Nail, Closing the door.

It was now only 3 days before the art show and Dj and Kari had been tirelessly promoting my event to the artists they knew. I’d beg them to stop but for some reason Dj really wanted my event to be huge.

“Your art is fantastic” He spoke that day on my couch as I finished the art gallery layout sketch, “I don’t understand why you don’t want people you know to be there.”

“Not many people know I’m some silly little painter Daren. James and Beckett don’t need to be dragged to some boring art show.”

“Boring?” He asked as he layed his whole body on the couch.

“Yes, boring.” I shook my head getting annoyed, “People that don’t understand the art culture aren’t going to be fucking interested, why force them into something they don’t care for?”

“All right, all right, relax.” He raised his hands.

I growled, “I hate when you say that.”

He chuckled, “What? Relax? It’s because you get too hostile over little shit Audrey.”

I sighed, “You’re fucking annoying.”

“I know you don’t mean that.” He smirked.

In the past weeks since Dj and I made a truce, he’s discovered my mood swings fairly quickly. This, in the end, kind of made me mad. He knew so much about me and I knew so little about him.
Before I could verbally slap the smirk off his face my phone flashed and without looking at it I answered.

“Hello?”

“Audrey. This is your mother.”

My jaw clenched and Dj seemed to notice my increase in anger as he slid over to listen.

“I thought I made it very fucking clear to you Maybeth that I am not going to the funeral and to never call this number again.”

“The funeral already passed Audrey. I’m just telling you where the tombstone is…”

I laughed, “You might as well not tell me where it is unless you want me to spit on his fucking grave.”

“He’s located at the Sunnyvale graveyard--”

“Yep just writing down where to spit.”

“--Near the Virgin Mary statue.”

“Wooo I don’t give a shit, lose this number now.” And with that I slammed my phone shut.

Before Dj could ask a question the phone started ringing again and I picked it up and threw it at the wall watching all the pieces go flying.

“Jesus…” He whispered, “Who was that.”

“The cunt I was pushed out of.”

“Who’s funeral?”

“One of the bastards that they call my ‘brother’ died.” I quoted the word ‘brother’, “Good fucking riddance I say.”

“You don’t want to go see his Grave atleast?” He asked, “You’d be back before the show…”

“Why the fuck should I waste my goddamn time on that piece of shit?” I looked Dj down, “Give me one good reason.”

He looked at me for a moment before putting a hand on my back, “…Maybe you just need the closer, to prove to him how great you turned out without him.”

I hid my anger, “What are you some type of therapist now?”

“Am I wrong?” He asked placing another smirk onto his lips.

I growled shaking my head, “I hate you Daren. Truly. You make me want to punch a child in the throat.”

“You don’t hate me,” He wrapped his arm around me as he squeezed, “You try, but you can’t and that’s why you get so mad. I’m the first dude you find decent.”

“Second actually. That James guy was okay until he locked me in a closet.”

“Stop changing the subject.”

I sighed, “I don’t need closure. I don’t need anything from them to live a good life. Are you saying that I’m not living a good life? Because for your inf--”

He cut me off by putting his palm on my face, “You know you’re getting hostile again…”

I shook him off aggressively before crossing my arms and turning away.

“You know, pouting like a child isn’t going to prove anything.” He placed a hand on my shoulder, “I know your past Audrey, and trust me when I say you need closure. Let me help you…”

“I don’t need anyone’s help.”

“You don’t need it? Or you just don’t want to be seen as weak?” I could feel him scold me, “It doesn’t make you weak, if you need someone to help. I’ve obviously seen it all when it comes to you at your ‘weakest’, so who better to help you nail the door shut once and for all?”

I held my breath and swallowing anger and a bit of pride I spoke, “I hate it when you’re right, you know.”

“I know,” He smirked as he leaned back on the chair next to me, “You do like me for it though.”

I hung my head low fighting my inner anger as I got up quickly. I guess in my hostility of rising off the couch so suddenly, I concerned Dj and he hopped forward following me like a stray dog.

“I didn’t mean to offend you Audrey, I’m sorry.” He started to apologize, “Tell me if I cross the line. I know this isn’t my concern or business so I’m so---”

It was my turn to cover his face with my hand as I picked up his keys and grabbed my jacket, “You’re driving. My car still has no gas.”

He looked taken back before racing to his car, “We should stop at my place first, I need some things.”

“Aww can’t travel without your makeup sugartits?” I teased as he laughed.

“Some people just don’t appreciate the work that goes into all this.” He waved his hand around his face and snapped his fingers in a sassy way jokingly.

I started to laugh as I quickly grabbed my medication and headed to his car.

On the ride over to their house, Panic started to settle in me. I twirled my thumbs in an effort to try and figure out how I was going to tell Kari about my family. I knew Dj was just going to spoil the secret and force me into telling Kari everything while also explain why I told her brother first. Arriving to Kari’s was a bit eye opening; and being ignorant I hurried Dj out the door to try and miss Kari.

“Where are you two headed off to in such a rush?” Kari smirked walking into Dj’s room.

“Thought you were working?” Dj asked as I stood there mouth agape like a fool.

“Lunch.”

“Ah.” He nodded to his younger sister, “Well Audrey needs something secret to finish an art piece she’s working on, and since her cars out of gas, I offered to give her a ride.”

“You couldn’t just give her a tank of gas?” Kari wondered aloud.

“That’s what I said!” I quickly engaged in the lie, “But smartass over here refuses to buy me a tank.”

“Hey, you can pay for your own damn gas after the auction. Besides, I wanted to pick up some things for the art room too.” He grabbed his bag and bumped me forward, “Now let’s go.”

We waved by to Kari and hopped on the I-5 up to Sunnyvale, California.

“You do know this is about a 6hour drive right?” I said to Dj as I put my feet on the dashboard, “How in the fuck do you expect Kari to not become suspicious when we’re not back in a few hours?”

“Well,” He started as he knocked my feet down, “Kari knows that my GPS is in fact a piece of shit, so we got lost, and our car died, we can’t get home until tomorrow.”

I chuckled, “You’re deceitful…”

“As are you.” He winked.

I bit my lip as I decided to ask another question, “Daren?”

“Hm?”

“W-why didn’t you just tell Kari the truth? That we're going to see my brother’s grave?”

He smiled and put his right hand over mine keeping one steady on the wheel, “Because I promised you I wouldn’t tell Kari anything. You asked me not to, remember?”

“…Well I just didn’t think…” I started, “do you think I'ma bad person for lying to your sister like that?”

He shook his head, “Nothing can make you a bad person Audrey, I know you’ll tell Kari when you’re ready. Until then, you always have me.”

I felt a small smile cross over my lips before leaning forward and kissing his cheek lightly. I then reclined my seat back and drifted off to sleep earning a strange smile from Dj who held his cheek…
♠ ♠ ♠
Special thanks to my friend Car.Crash.Hearts for being so understanding of my short hiatus :3 LOves ya!