Status: Finished

I'll Be There

Finally home,but not okay

We got home in the early afternoon, and I could tell Dj was wiped. I smiled sadly at him, trying to force down my sadness and show him gratitude. I got out of the car and was instantly attacked by Nikki, who held me close. I swallowed back my tears and held him tightly, glad to be held by someone, anyone. Plus I missed Nikki. He was almost like a father to me, a crazed, weird father. I let go of him and stared at the ground. Who is my father anyway? Why couldn’t she just tell me? I was suddenly aware of Kari hugging my very lightly. I faced her and hugged her the right way, which she didn’t expect. I forced myself to smile. “You have any food sis?” She beamed at me. “Anything you want!” she said eagerly. “Not Chinese” Nikki piped in. I moaned. “But Nikki” I whined. Dj stumbled to the front of the car and leaned against it. “I just want a fuckin cheeseburger, and none of that McDonalds shit, a real honest to God American damn cheeseburger.” I laughed. “Sounds good to me!” I suddenly remembered my mother and my cheery attitude vanished like it had never been there. Nikki scooped me up in his arms and began walking toward the house. “No more of this depressed bullshit from you, we’ll cheer you up if I have to dress up in Dj’s clothes and do a hula.” I made a very awkward face and giggled. “Okay Nikki.” I said. He looked back at Dj, who was still walking funny beside Kari. “Do I need to carry you too?” he smirked at his band mate. Dj flipped him off with a smile and tried to walk better.
Nikki kicked the door open and tossed me onto the nearest couch. I sat up and glared jokingly at him as Dj and Kari came in. Dj fell onto the nearest chair and kicked his shoes off, stretching out his legs as far as they would go. I took off the damn hoodie that was suddenly making me very hot and laid it under my head. Nikki hopped onto the couch just before I stretched out, so I just put my legs on him like he wasn’t even there. I had my eyes closed for only a few moments Nikki said “What the fuck are you two looking at?” I cracked my eyes open drowsily and saw the siblings staring at us like we were spotted zebras. Dj shrugged and looked away. “Nothing.” Kari said. I raised an eyebrow and I heard Nikki mumble “damn right nothing…” He looked down at me for a moment, getting a strange look on his face. I glared at him. I wasn’t in the mood for people to be giving me stupid faces right now. “What the fuck are you looking at?” I yelled at him. He laughed. “Was that on purpose?” he asked. I continued glaring at him, now confused. “Was what on purpose?” I said. Dj spoke up from his chair, his eyes closed and his hands behind his head. “You said the same thing he did like 5 seconds ago.” “Oh…” I said, feeling stupid. “I guess I’m just tired. Sorry Nikki.” “Don’t worry about it. I’m gonna go get some damn food for us.” He said with a slight yawn, pushing my legs off of him so he could stand. “I’ll go too” added Kari, “I don’t trust you alone buying things.” Nikki scowled at her but nodded in agreement. Nikki stood in front of Dj. “You need anything princess?” he joked at him. “Jager and smokes” he said, “and sis gets to pick out my burger or meat or whatever the hell you guys are buying, as long as it turns into a fuckin burger.” Nikki sighed dramatically. “You’re all hypocrites!” he fumed. “I trust you Nikki.” I said. He looked over at me happily. “Thanks kid. I’ll be sure to get you something nice.” Dj made a face. “She’s not a kid dude…” “I still like Happy Meals!” I yelled. “And with that I’m leaving” Nikki said, slipping out the door. Kari waved to us and followed.
Dj opened his eyes when he heard Nikki’s car start up outside. “Happy meals?” he asked sarcastically. She stuck her tongue out at him. “I could use a happy meal right now…” she said, suddenly losing the vibe that had been in her face only seconds before. He sighed and got up, lying on the couch with her. “Sorry.” He mumbled. She gently stroked his messy hair. “It’s ok.” She said. He could almost feel the heartbreak in her voice. “But you’re not okay.” He said, looking up at her. He could see how red her eyes were, he could almost feel his throat burning with hers. Her vibrant green eyes suddenly looked very empty, like the color had been sucked out of them and left a pale grey shell. He felt her tense under him after a minute. He looked away quickly, but it was already too late. “Why does everybody keep staring at me?!” she demanded. “We’re just worried about you.” He lied. “Bullshit.” She retorted. He reached up and kissed her lightly. “We really are.” She looked away from him. “I’d feel a lot more confident if everybody wasn’t worried for me.” She said. He nodded and rested his head on her. “Alright.” He agreed. But, regardless of how tired he was, he just couldn’t get her eyes off of his mind. It was a crazy idea, but he decided to test it when she wouldn’t notice. Tonight would be perfect. When he heard her sleeping he texted James to come over just to be safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Daren Jay Ashba...what the hell are you up to...