Status: Finished

I'll Be There

Back to normal..?

I woke up to a kiss. Dj was kneeling over me, giving me a smirk. I rubbed my eyes and looked up at him. “What?” I said. He just kissed me again. When I didn’t respond he stopped and looked at me, forcing those icy eyes into my soul. I forced myself to face his gaze. “You can’t be like this forever, I will make you happy again.” He said, and I noticed the pain in his eyes. “I’m sorry” I whispered. He softened his gaze. “Don’t be. You just lost your mother, after finding out you have one.” I felt the tears starting to build up. He kissed me again, and I was forced to hold the tears in as I kissed him back. That’s when the door opened.
“What the fuck!” Nikki yelled, shielding his eyes dramatically. Kari came in behind him, carrying every bag herself. Dj finished the kiss before looking up at Nikki like a total badass. “Got a problem?” he asked. Nikki looked completely unamused as he grabbed a Coke and sat down. Dj got off of me and stood up stretching. I sighed and rolled over, closing my eyes again. I loved Dj trying to cheer me up, but it hasn’t even been a day yet. I needed time. “You got food Sis?” he yelled to Kari. “If you want it you boys are going to help me make it!” she yelled back from the kitchen. Nikki got up and trudged over with Dj. “We’re men!” he trumpeted with a fist in the air. Dj smirked at his bassist. “Oh yeah, and what’s the difference?” Kari shot back. Dj laughed, “Men drink beer.” “Legally” Nikki added. I moaned and stuffed my face in the cushion.
Dj looked back at her sadly. He wanted to see her normal again. He knew in reality she would take time to get over this, but deep down he just wanted his Raven back. And he might have a way to get her. He followed Nikki outside and watched him fire up the grill, which hadn’t been used in a while. Nikki tossed him his pack of cigs and he lit one, watching the smoke rise in the air like his happiness, lost in her depressed and broken heart. Just then the glass door flew open and out popped James, his silly blonde hair undone and messy. “J-man!” Nikki exclaimed, obviously not expecting a visit from his frontman. They hand slapped and Dj threw out his smoker. James didn’t greet him, but looked at him seriously. “How’s she doing?” He asked. Dj sighed and shook his head, unsure of what to say. It was obvious that she wasn’t doing well, but he had no idea how she was thinking or if she herself could come out of it. That’s why he had to help. James seemed to understand all of this just by looking at him. The singer clapped his shoulder reassuringly. “We’ll get her” he said with a wink. Nikki turned away from the grill and raised an eyebrow at them. James made that strange-too-happy smile of his. “I’m gonna go cheer her up.” He piped. Dj would rather he didn’t, but he waved his hand nonchalantly and let him go. If James could cheer her up then more power to him. He just wanted her happy again.
I still had my face stuffed in a cushion, but it didn’t matter. For the first time in two years I wanted to die again. I didn’t know my own life anymore. Up until last night I had been living a lie. A lie…a hand was on me. “Go away Dj” I mumbled sadly. When the hand didn’t move I peeked up from the cushion and glared at him. “I said-“ I stopped as I saw the blonde hair and cocky smile. “James!” I squeaked, hugging him. He held me tightly and picked me up. “What are you doing here?” I asked, happy to see him. There was something about cocky lil James that made me happy. For now, anyway. “Just here to see you sunshine. Let’s go outside and see your boyfriend, he’s worried about you.” I plastered the frown right back on my face. “He is?” I whispered. James stared at me as we neared the door. “Of course he is silly. He may look scary but he’s got the biggest heart I ever seen.” With that he opened the door and deposited me with the guys. Nikki was the first to speak, as usual. “Thank God a woman is out here! Tell this idiot that Jager doesn’t go with EVERYTHING.” Dj glared at his bassist. “Yes it does, it’s Jager.” I facepalmed and shook my head at them. “Boys, boys. Relax. I’m not getting involved in this.” Nikki exhaled dramatically and fnished his Coke, tossing the can on the ground. Dj scooped it up as soon as he did, handing it to James. “Please throw this out?” he asked. James nodded. “Sure, no problem bro.” As he disappeared inside I sat down in the shade. The wind was blowing slightly, raising the layers in my hair, and the sun was setting behind the mountains. I looked back at the boys and saw both Dj and Nikki staring at me. Dj I understood, but Nikki too? “What the hell?” I said to them. Nikki shrugged and flipped a burger. “Just worried about you.” Dj said, grabbing a Monster from the cooler for me. I smiled. “I haven’t had one in a few days!” I said, popping open the can instantly. I took a sip and dropped my gaze. I wonder if Mom liked Monster. I thought back to the stories she told, and my head snapped up. “Oh! Nikki, random question, and you probably won’t fucking know, but did you ever meet a fan named Christine Mason in the early 90’s?” He leaned on the grill and thought for a minute. “I’ve met so many people I can’t remember…” He trailed off as he thought. “Do you know what year?” he asked. I shook my head. “No, not exactly…but it was just before I was born, probably 91 or 92-ish.” “Hmm.” He said. “That’s when I was with Brandi…I did have a fling with one girl for a while that I kept from her…I can’t for the life of me remember her name though.” I smirked. “Do you only remember the ones you had a thing with?” I asked sarcastically. “You read my book you should know.” He retorted. I laughed.
Dj smiled as he heard her laugh. It was good to see her happy finally. Even talking about her mother, she was happy, and that’s all that mattered. James finally came back out, and Raven had apparently forgotten all about him. “James!” she squeaked. Dj hated how she got all happy when she saw him. “Where the hell were you?” she asked. Dj gave him a look. “Yeah, where were you?” he asked with a scolding tone. James shrugged at him. “I had…difficulties.” He said slowly. Raven raised an eyebrow at him. “Difficulties throwing a can away?” she asked strangely. James scrunched up his face. “I had to piss okay?” she laughed again. Now Dj was really annoyed. Why did she laugh at everything but him? He grabbed a Monster for himself and stood against the house, watching the smoke rise from the nearly cooked food. His unkempt hair stood up as it brushed against the wall. He sighed and closed his eyes. As long as she was happy. That’s all he needed. Right?
“Food’s done!” Nikki yelled, shoveling burgers onto a plate. James and I jumped at his call to go inside and eat. Dj however stayed frozen where he was, which was strange because he requested a burger. I went up to him and put my arms around him. “C’mon Dj, dinner time.” He didn’t move. I felt the sadness rushing back. “Dj please” I asked quietly. His cold eyes were suddenly staring down at me. I winced, like a frozen dart had pierced me. “You’re not the only one hurting” he said, pulling from my grasp and heading in after the boys. I stared after him. What did he mean? Was I making him upset? I swallowed my pride and went in, closing the door behind me. Kari was busy shoveling potato salad onto plates while the guys piled every condiment imaginable onto their burgers. “Can I help?” I asked my artificial sister. I sounded pathetically desperate to be useful. She nodded with her usual kind smile. “You can help me get drinks for these dogs before they take over my house.” I smiled back at her and nodded. “My house.” Dj corrected her over a mouthful of burger. I rolled my eyes. “What do you guys want to drink.” I asked. I saw James’ bright cheery smile first. “Sprite please!” He called to me. “Coke” Nikki mumbled through his handful of chips. “Dj?” I asked. “I’ve got one” he replied, holding up a Monster. I shrugged and got the other guys their drinks, then got myself a plate and sat down with them. Nothing of interest happened for the rest of the night. I was trying not to be depressed, and though he seemed distant from me, Dj still held me until I fell asleep. Both Nikki and James stayed the night, but James disappeared before I woke the next morning. Nobody seemed to know where he went.
♠ ♠ ♠
Really long one for you guys...anybody confused yet? It will make sense soon :)