Status: Finished

I'll Be There

A ride in the Death Ride with a dark angel

The inside of the car glowed with strange colors, faintly lighting the interior to give it a ghastly appearance. Dj looked over at the girl beside him, noticing how she admired the car as though it were a million dollar machine, and wondered if he was doing the right thing. He quickly pulled out his iPhone and texted Axl, Left my hat in the room, bring it out to my car? The reply came immediately, Be right out, lazy. Dj thought for a moment then added, If I get thrown in jail bail me out k? This time the reply was even faster, Why. There was no need to explain though, Axl had just come out of the door, twirling the hat around a finger, dangerously close to flinging it into a puddle. Dj cringed. Axl bent down and peered into the open window, his glasses on even though it was dark out, and stared curiously at the girl in the other seat. Then without a single word he tossed the hat to Dj and walked away. A moment later Dj’s phone beeped, Good luck dude. He tried to keep a straight face. She’s 19, he thought bitterly. Besides…it’s not like he was hitting on her, he was trying to be a good role model. “Would you hold this?” He asked her nicely, holding out the hat to her. “Sure!” came her anxious reply, taking the hat carefully as though it might turn to dust. He smiled. “You can wear it if you want.” He began to drive away from the club and onto the highway. It was surprisingly empty for L.A. even at this hour. “No way…really?” She asked, obviously not believing that any of this was real. “Yes, really.” He said, placing it on her head and returning his focus to the road.
I seriously couldn’t believe I was wearing Dj Ashba’s hat. I discreetly pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, not that I wanted to wake up. I straightened it on my head and looked out the window as streetlamps passed by. The moon hung in a crescent above the city, and a slight breeze wafted in the night air. “Would you like some music?” He asked. I nodded and he flipped through the radio. “Oh, I love this song!” I exclaimed as he rested on a station. The volume was subtle yet perfect to not spoil the mood. I hummed along and sang the only part I knew, “Do do do do do-do-do-do, do do do duh-do do do.” Dj smiled and sang along. I laughed “This song is so annoying but I love it!” He laughed quietly as well, “Yes, Tom’s Diner is an interesting song to say the least.” I glanced over at him, suddenly wishing I could hold his hand again. Lights bounced off his face and illuminated his ice blue eyes. The dark patches under his eyes glowed ominously. His hair poked out in odd directions, unkempt and dirty, yet mine was horrible as well after 3 hours of dancing and singing. I could only imagine how tired he must be. And still, I wondered why I was here.