Status: FINISHED! 8/20/12

Darling, I Just Can't Go On

28

I was the first out of the three to move, jumping quickly off of the couch and away from where I had been molded against Alex's side.

"What the hell?" Dad asked, more so to himself, as he stumbled back a few steps.

I knew that Alex was standing beside me making me turn towards him.

"I think you should go," I said quietly as I gave a small nod to the door as an apologetic look rose to my features.

"I'll uh, see you later I guess." He said as he ran a hand through his hair, heading in the direction of the door, faultering only once when he had to walk past my father.

Once I heard the door close, and his car starting out front, I moved out of the living room and away from my father. I took refuge in the kitchen, knowing that he would eventually come in to talk to me.

I let out a deep breath before opening the fridge doors, scanning th shelves for anything to distract me. I ended up grabbing a can of Mountain Dew before moving to sit at the island on one of the tall stools.

It was only a few minutes before he finally walked into the room, a look of pure confusion etched into his face as he looked like he was trying to piece it all together in his mind.

"Can you just...Can I get an explination or something?" He asked, leaning against the counter top on the other side of the island, looking over at me as I looked down at the brightly colored green and yellow can, giving my infamous shrug.

"Who the hell was that? Are you dating? Holy shit you aren't dating him are you?"

I rolled my eyes at the distress the he emphasized in the last question before taking the time to answer.

"That was Alex and no, we're not dating." I stated simply before taking a small sip of the bold drink.

"Why was he here with you, alone, when I wasn't here?" He asked again, getting his words and sentences all gumbled up as the confusion only grew more.

"I wanted someone to come over," I replied, giving another small raise of the shoulders.

"You're not really giving me much to work with here," He groaned, sounding more and more exasperated as the conversation between us continued.

"Alex is the singer for Rian's band, the one that always practices after school. I spend most of my free time with him and the other boys, and half the time we're just right next door! There's no need to flip a tit over where I'm going when all you have to do is go next door and ask."

At the last sentence a look of shock fell over his features.

"Flip a tit? What does that even mean?" He asked as he threw his hands in the air.

I just shook my head, mumbling something about Jack being an idiot as he watched me.

"When did you even become friends with them?" He asked, ignoring my lack of a proper response to his last question.

Yet again, I gave a small shrug before saying, "Like a month ago, or something like that."

After that there was a thick silence that had settled between the two of us, like a thick fog that hovered only between my side of the island and his. He was just looking at me, giving me a long and hard stare, as if he was trying to figure me out.

"You've changed," He said finally, crossing his arms over his chest as he continued to stare at me. "And I don't think I like it."

I scoffed at his words, thinking back to the conversation that Alex and I had only hours before hand.

"You never used to rebel or do stupid shit like staying out all night! What happened to the quiet and respectful daughter that I raised?"

"If you knew anything about what has been going on for the last year, you would know how ridiculous that sounds." I said with an eye roll.

"Well if you never tell me shit, I obviously won't know what's going on in your life!"

"This, this conversation right here, is a prime example of why I don't talk to you!" I replied, my voice raising the slightest bit.

"You don't talk to me, you barely say anything to Dr. Agarwal," He rattled off as if it was something that he had thought over multiple times. "So who do you talk to?"

"I talk to Alex."

At my words he gave me a very skeptical look, as if they were the most off the wall thing he had ever heard.

"That obnoxious, rowdy boy? What good does he offer you?" He scoffed, him being the one rolling his eyes at me.

"More good than anyone else," I muttered to myself as I rose from my seat, heading over to the stairs despite my father calling for me to come back and saying that 'this conversation is not over'.

I knew that he wouldn't really understand, which is why I gave up even trying. He would never understand how much Alex meant to me, and how much he had helped me.

I let out a deep sigh as I sank into my bed, letting the plush comforter engulf me. It was still twisted and turned various ways from the 'tickle fight' that Alex had started.

I rolled over onto my side, not caring that my shirt had twisted itself around my middle much like the sheets, looking out the window that was placed almost right across from where I had positioned my bed.

~~

I didn't even realize that I had fallen asleep so early in the night until I woke up at almost 2:30 in the morning. I tried to untangle myself from the thick blanket wrapped around me, taking a few minutes to break out of it's grip.

Stretching my arms up above my head, I heard my spine crack in a few places making me give a pleased sigh.

I shuffled silently across the hall and into the bathroom, taking only a few minutes to relieve myself before returning to my bed. The feeling of my body against the mattress after having gotten out only a few minutes before was spectacular.

I closed my eyes, wanting to catch the last few hours of sleep I could before my alarm went off. I was half-way asleep, just barely in a dream state when I heard my phone buzzing from somewhere in the sheets.

I groaned, reaching around blindly until I felt the hard device in a sea of plush. Looking at the screen I found a text, from Jack surprisingly.

If you find anything suspicious in the backseat of your car, it was totally Alex.

I rolled my eyes as I let the phone drop down against the bed again, rolling so that my back was to it as I pulled the covers over my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I don't know if I like how this turned out... It's the basic idea that I had for the big reveal to her dad, but I'm just not sure :/

I also feel like the whole "I talk to Alex," that is stating the become redundant. I'd like to know your thoughts on it though, so I can see if it's just me having that writer issue where we never think our work is good.

Another thing: I added the last part, with Jack texting her, just so that it isn't all completely serious. I mean her and her dad had a weird fight/conversation thing, so there needed to be some comic relief in the form of Jack Barakat.

I would just like to point out at this current moment (that I am typing this, maybe not when you read it) I have 169 comments, and I totally laughed at it like the little pervert I am.

On another side note, I'm listening to my All Time Low/Blink-182 station on Pandora and it is seriously the most perfect thing ever.