Status: FINISHED! 8/20/12

Darling, I Just Can't Go On

36

That week went by quickly, and it was soon the night of the 13th and I was bundling myself in layers of clothes for warmth in the snow filled night. It was closing in on midnight when I finally slid into the driver's seat of my car, giving a shake due to the chill that had settled over the night.

Starting up the engine, I quickly pulled out of my driveway, keeping an eye on the house to see if a light or anything turned on.

It was in the middle of the school week, and I didn't need my dad waking up to me sneaking out because I knew that he would report my actions to Dr. Agarwal without a second thought.

Once I knew it was safe, I continued on my way a few streets over, pulling up outside of a familiar house just after midnight.

Staying in the car, I pulled my phone out of the pocket of the jacket, typing out a quick text.

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY :D Now go look out your window!

Only a couple of minutes after sending it I saw the curtains in Alex's room shift, his face coming into view as he gave a wide grin. Leaning over so that he could see my face, I waved in his direction, motioning him to come outside and get into the car.

He held up a finger to signal that he would only be a minute before disappearing again.

It wasn't long before he joined me out in the car, wrapped up in his own layers of clothes, a similar beanie to the one resting over my hair on his head, only a shade of grey slightly darker.

"Why am I in your car, on my birthday, when it's below freezing outside?" He asked, but was smiling none the less as I pulled away from the curb, heading out of the neighborhood and into a more busy area.

"Well I wanted to be the first person to say happy birthday-" I stared only for him to break off my sentence.

"Which you were, thank you by the way."

"-and what better way to say happy birthday than to come and force you away from your warm bedroom to play in the freezing, dark night."

"It sounds like you're going to rape me," He said in mock terror, a halarious look on his face making me bust into laughter.

"It's not rape if you want it," I said giving a cheeky smile as we pulled up outside of a Waffle House, him grinning happily.

"My birthday present is food?" He questioned as we climbed out of the car, him tossing an arm around my sholders when we met at the front of the car, the chill in the night air nipping at our facial features as we walking inside.

"Table for two?" The older waitress asked, giving us a once over with a weary look on her face as Alex nodded in response. "Follow me."

We spent almost an hour there, just laughing and talking as we enjoyed the breakfast foods. After we had finished eating, I went to grab the check the waitress had placed on the table, only for Alex to grab it from my hand.

"It's your birthday, I'm paying," I said, snatching it from him and standing quickly, pulling my jacket and gloves back on.

"But a man should never let a woman pay," He protested, grabbing it back from me out of my pocket.

"I'll make you a deal," I said, taking it back from him with a smirk. "If you insist on being a gentlemen, let me pay for your food, and you can pay for mine."

After a minute of thought he finally agreed, and the two of us went to the front to pay.

~~

"We have one last stop," I said when we were back in the car making Alex give me a confused look.

"Where else could we possibly go after one o'clock in the morning?" He asked pulling his seat belt across his front.

"Just wait and see," I replied, heading back in the direction of our neighborhood.

We made small talk as I dorve, but nothing of importance was said. It was more to pass the time until we reached the small park that the two of us always went to.

"I know we were just here last week, but this place is sorta our thing," I said giving a shrug as I parked.

"I don't mind." He replied before opening the door and climbing out.

We walked slowly around the perimeter of the park as I folded into his side, the cold seeping through my layers of clothing easily.

"You know what one of my favourite things about Winter is?" Alex asked me, looking down at my face slightly.

"What?" I responded, looking back up at him.

"It's cuddle weather," He said giving me a sly grin to which I rolled my eyes. "What, it is!"

I just shook my head and laughed, moving away from his side only to grab his hand and pull him back towards my car.

"Come on, I bet it's warmer in there," I said as I climbed back into the driver's seat, Alex taking his own spot beside me.

Giving him a quick grin, I pulled a small lever on the side of the seat making it recline back. He laughed, but did the same in return, the two of us moving to lay on our sides so that we were facing each other.

"You were right, it is a bit warmer in here," Alex commented.

~~

"I'm not going to be able to stay awake in class today," Alex said as he and I sat outside of his house, still in my car.

After the two of us had fallen asleep in the front of the car, then woken up again almost two hours later, we decided it might be time to call it a night.

"Ugh, neither will I," I groaned in return, leaning my head against the steering wheele.

"I'll see you in a few hours then," He yawned, opening his door and getting out of the car.

Without a second thought, I climbed out as well, jogging over so that I was standing by his side, getting a confused look at actions.

"What are you doing?" He asked, holding his jacket tighly around himself.

I moved up onto the tips of my toes, pressing my lips at the corner of his mouth lightly as the snow fell around us, melting quickly when it came in contact with our skin.

"Happy birthday Alex," I whispered before backing up, moving around the front of the car before sinking into the driver's seat leaving Alex even more confused than before.
♠ ♠ ♠
ASDFGHJKL.

I don't really have much to say about this...

So go and comment I guess~