Fight Your Way Through, This Could Be The Death Of You

07

I hadn’t noticed until now the vast length of the hallway and the numerous number of doors, all of which were closed. The house must have been huge, bigger than my own. The memory of my home only reminded me of what had been happening to my father, and a jolt of emotional pain sent me running faster. Up ahead, I saw the beautiful spiral staircase that lead to the main floor. Not bothering to slow down, I raced down the them, stumbling over my own feet. Adrenaline and fear were pumping through my veins as I heard Nate’s thundering footsteps. Oh, god, I really needed to find the front door right away, or even the kitchen so I could get my hands on a knife. Hell, I’d even settle for finding a fork right now.

I turned left at the bottom of the stairs, but a force immediately hit my abdomen, flinging me backwards and to the floor, leaving me gasping for air. My eyes were wide in shock as I realized that I had been so clumsy as to run right into something, or rather, someone. With all the speed and force I had hit him with, the little boy that was before me was still standing, staring down at me. He couldn’t have been more than eleven years old, I thought, as he stared at me as if I were from space. He had a dark mop of wavy hair on his head and sparkling brown eyes- lined with eyeliner?? He was devilishly adorable.

Image

He looked to the top of the stairs, and I followed his gaze to see Nate laughing hysterically from the top. I really didn’t know what was so funny. The boy looked back down at me, sprawled on the floor with my elbows propping me up. His cheeks turned a light pink as he looked away from me with a little smile tugging at his lips.

“You might want to, umm,” he started, his eyes flickering onto me before he diverted them again, “uhh, cover yourself up. Just a bit.”

I looked down to see my dress riding dangerously high up my thighs and quickly yanked it down. I felt heat rush to my face as I blushed deeply in embarrassment.

Nate’s laughter subsided and I could tell that the anger from my attempted escape was returning.

“Sephen, get her out of here before I snap her neck. She fuckin’ spit all over my shirt.”
He ordered before disappearing into the upper hallway. My forehead creased into a frown due to his language but I grabbed the boy’s hand, Sephen I think his name was? When he offered it to me to help me up. As he lead me through the house, he didn’t let go of my hand and actually tightened his grip when I tried to squirm it from his firm grasp.

“Hey could you loosen up your hold a bit? Please?” I eyed him warily. There was something wrong when someone like me couldn’t get away from an eleven year old. Hell, and I always considered myself to be quite strong, too.

He looked up at me with a little smirk that instantly reminded me of Nate.

“I don’t want you to run away. Nathaniel would strangle me right after he finished strangling you if you got out of the house.” I narrowed my eyes as I contemplated whether Nate would actually strangle a child, one who was probably family. My mind flashed to our fight in the alley, and when I had first woken up chained to a wall. Okay, Nate was probably very capable of strangling Sephen.

We reached a large room with dark carpeting, black leather furniture, and deep olive green walls. Sitting above a fireplace was a large TV. The room was beautiful, just like the rest of the house that I had seen.

Sephen shut the door and then sat down on the three person couch, seating me beside him as he turned the TV on.

“So.. Are you Nate’s brother or something?”

“Yup.”

“And does he kidnap people often?”

“I dunno.” His eyes drifted from the TV to my face. “What’s your name?”

“Oh, I’m Kadence.” I answered with a small smile. When our talking stopped and Sephen’s attention went back to the cartoon, I looked towards the closed door. If I ran, would Sephen stop me? Was Nate close enough by to stop me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm. I'm not a huge fan of this chapter, but it was needed to introduce Sephen.. Not sure yet how much he'll actually be in the story yet but oh well.

Please comment!!