Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

25

“Johnny boy darling, I’m home!” Sang a man who came bursting through the front door. He was rather scruffy looking, with shaggy hair and a patchy beard growing in. He was dressed in a flannel shirt and over all gave the appearance of a hipster.

“We have company. Max, this is Regan. Regan, this is my roommate Max.”

“Nice to meet ya Regan. I smell stir fry. John’s actually getting fancy and cooking for once? You must be really special, Regan.”

“Shut up,” Mr. Harrington said, letting out a chuckle.

So his first name was John? John Harrington. It did have a nice flow to it.

“Nice to meet you too, Max. Well, I think I’ll head off to bed. Goodnight, John.”

Mr. H raised an eyebrow at me, a sly smirk growing on his lips.

“Goodnight, Regan.”

“Peace out, girlie. It was nice meeting you.”

I liked Max already. He was sweet.

I headed into Mr. Harrington’s bedroom and was slightly shocked at what I found. His desk was always organized, but I didn’t exactly expect for his room to be so spotless and organized. It looked like it could be in one of those furniture magazines. Kind of bordering on creepy if you ask me.

I almost felt wrong pulling the covers out of place so I could slide into bed. Everything had been arranged so perfectly. And then I noticed the little pill bottles lined up neatly on his bedside table. Being the nosy bitch that I was, I picked one up.

Paxil? That’s an antidepressant. Why was Mr. Harrington taking antidepressants? Especially such strong ones. Weird.

“Johnny did you take your meds?” Max’s voice carried through the wall.

Shit. Panicked, I accidentally dropped the bottle it rolled across the floor. Goddammit.

“No, I’m feeling good today, under control.”

“Take them anyway, or I’ll wake up at three in the morning to find you scrubbing the floors with a toothbrush.”

“Max, shut up. I’ve been really good lately. But don’t worry I’ll take them anyway.”

As his footsteps grew closer to the door I lunged across the floor, trying to reach the little pill bottle.

There came a knock on the door.

“Hey Regan can I come in for a minute.”

“Um…” I could almost reach it. “Just a second.” Got it!

I tossed it back onto the bedside table and crawled under the covers once more.

“Okay, you can come in.”

First he went to the closet and grabbed some clothes, then he came over to the bed and grabbed the pills.

“Need anything, Regan?” He asked, but I couldn’t keep my eyes off the pills in his hands. “Oh, uh… I’m ADHD and obsessive-compulsive.”

“Oh. I’ve never met anyone with OCD before.”

“It’s not that big of deal, I’ve gotten a lot better. I just like to have everything pristine, you know?”

“Yeah. Well thank you, for everything, Mr. H.”

“You can call me John outside of school, I don’t mind. And you can really do whatever you want, but I’d ask that you not mention this little situation to anyone since I could be fired for having you here.”

“Oh don’t worry. I’m not going to tell anyone, I promise. This is just between us.”

“Thank you, Regan.”

And like the fucking idiot that I am, I leaned forward and kissed him.