Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

27

Boyfriend.

I was in the bedroom reading the copy of Hunger Games that Mr. H had left behind that morning, when he got home.

Just as I was about to go out into the main room and ask how his day was, I heard Max say, “John, we need to have a talk.”

So I opted for sitting at the door and eavesdropping instead.

“Don’t worry I took my meds today,” Mr. Harrington sighed. I could hear him shuffling around in the kitchen.

“No, John, about Regan.”

The rustling sound of someone rooting through the refrigerator stopped.

“What about Regan?”

“You know I’m not one to judge. Love is love. But I just think you two should wait a little while, I mean this could get your fired bro. Or even arrested.”

“No! Max, it’s not like that. Yes, Regan is my student, but there isn’t anything going on between us romantically.”

And a little piece of my heart crumbled.

“Okay good. I was a little worried there for a sec, but I didn’t peg you as the kind of guy to cheat. That would break Cayleigh’s heart.”

Cayleigh? Who the fuck was Cayleigh?

Decided I’d had enough listening, I opened the door and joined the boys in the kitchen, cutting their conversation short.

“Hey, John. How was school?”

“Dammit, we’re out of milk.” Mr. H had resumed scavenging the fridge. “It was good. How was your day, Regan?”

“Nice and relaxing I guess. Also kind of awkward considering I’m at my teacher’s house… but I’d rather be here than with Anthony.”

“I’m going to grab cigarettes and milk. Need anything else?” Max asked, getting to his feet and grabbing a pair of keys out of the dish.

John and I both shook our heads.

After he left it was quiet. Mr. Harrington cooked well I awkwardly leaned against the counter, trying to stay out of his way in the tiny kitchen.

“So… who’s Cayleigh?”

Mr. H scrunched up his face, creating wrinkles in his forehead.

“Ah, so you heard that?”

I nodded.

“Cayleigh’s sort of my girlfriend.”

Naïve little Regan, I should’ve guessed a guy as great as Mr. H would have a girlfriend.

“She’s more like an ex. We’re on and off. Right now we’re off considering she’s in Africa teaching orphans.”

Oh my god, she was an angel. How could I ever compete with someone like Cayleigh?!

“Max doesn’t seem to think you guys are ‘off’.”

“Max doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Why are you trying to justify yourself? It’s not like you did anything wrong by dating Cayleigh. Unless… you’re implying that you have feelings for me.”