Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

32

“See, we were obviously meant for each other. I mean we’re both left-handed, our favorite color is orange, and we fit together like puzzle pieces.”

Katie nodded at her girlfriend with that same bored expression she always wore.

“Left-handed people are bitchin’, right? I mean right-handed people are just lame,” Julia continued on.

“I’m right handed,” I jutted in.

“Well, you’re okay because you’re Regan and you’re kick ass.”

She was like a giant five year old. How on earth did Katie put up with it?

“Anyway, homecoming is like two weeks away. You’re coming dress shopping with us, right Regan?”

Great, more time with Julia, just what I wanted.

“I don’t know if I’m going to homecoming.” That was actually the truth. It’s not like I had a date or anything.

“How on earth can you not go to homecoming? Dances are the best thing that’s ever happened. Formal dress dances are the shit!”

They sure are, Julia, they sure are. Just shut up.

“You should still come shopping with us,” Katie finally piped up.

I looked at her and for once she actually showed some emotion. Her eyes were pleading with me, begging me to go with them.

So dealing with Julia wasn’t as easy as she made it seem. How could I say no to her?

“Um, alright. Sounds fun.”

“Oh my god, yes! So I was thinking blue for me, it’ll match my eyes. And Katie and I have to match, obviously, so she’ll be in blue too. Navy blue would look gorgeous with her hair, don’t you think, Regan?”

Colors and matching weren’t really my forte. I just picked something that looked pretty, it didn’t matter to me whether or not it matched my eyes. My hair was black so anything would go with it.

“I guess, yeah.” Just agree with Julia, that was the battle plan I’d devised. Agree with everything she said and I wouldn’t have to start any shit.

“This is going to be so much fun!” She squealed and clapped her hands together.

“I gotta pee, I’ll be back.” I got up and headed towards the hallway exiting from the opposite side of the cafeteria. If I was right, the bathroom should have been just down on the left. Thank god I was, it would’ve been embarrassing if I spent the rest of lunch traipsing around to find the bathroom.

I was washing my hands when Katie joined me.

“Thanks for agreeing to come with us. You’re a life saver.” Her voice had such a pretty tone, it was soothing and melodic.

“It’s no problem. Is everything okay between the two of you?”

She snorted. “I wish. Sorry… I shouldn’t have said that. It’s just that, well, Julia’s so self centered and rude and immature sometimes. I mean I love her, but sometimes I wish she’d just act her age.”

“I know what you mean. I hope everything works out for you two. Feel free to text or call me, ya know if you need anything.”

Katie smiled a true genuine smile that showed off all of her pearly white teeth. “You’re really cool, you know that, Regan?”

Maybe I did have a friend after all.