Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

4

The only thing more embarrassing than being the loser new girl who lived in a crack den, was being the loser new girl who lived in a crack den with a fat lip and bruises on her face. As if I hadn’t gotten enough stares just by being new.

“You’re late again Regan- Oh wow, are you okay?” That was what Mr. Harrington said. He was the only person who bothered to ask if I was okay.

I mumbled a quick, “I’m fine,” and didn’t make eye contact.

I kept my head down during first and second period, by third I stopped caring so much. I was getting used to being stared at like a gorilla at the zoo.

Fuck people.

As I was transitioning from 5th period to 6th through the crowded hallways, I accidentally made awkward eye contact with Diane. Her expression turned to this look of sympathy and horror, kind of like the look you make when you see a smushed animal on the side of the road.

“Regan! What happened?”

I pretended not to hear her and swung around in the other direction, taking refuge in the girl’s bathroom.

“Shit, someone sure fucked you up,” Said a bleach blonde girl with large amounts of cleavage hanging out on display. She was leaning over the sink, lathering mascara onto her already caked eyelashes.

“No, I just got drunk and stumbled into a door or something. I don’t even really remember,” I lied.

“Rough. That’s a sign of a successful party though, ya know what I mean? I’m Julia by the way.”

She looked more like an Amber or a Taylor, definitely not a Julia.

“Regan.”

“So what class are you supposed to be in?”

“English with Mrs. McCoy.”

“Ugh I hate that old hag. I should be in math. I hate math, numbers are bullshit. Why are you skipping?”

“Oh I’m not skipping, I’m just… hiding.”

“From who?”

“Uh some girl named Diane.”

“Diane Sawyer? Ugh she’s such a little tight-ass prude.”

“Yeah.” I still feel incredibly guilty for agreeing with that.

“Do you know Katie Monroe?”

“No, should I?”

“Oh I was just wondering. She’s my girlfriend.”

Well I was not expecting that. Julia seemed like the kind of girl who would sleep with the football team, not munch on the muff.

“Girlfriend?”

“Yeah, we’ve been dating for like 3 months now. Hey you should totally sit with us at lunch!”

And somehow, I made friends without even trying.