Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

43

“Come in, come in,” She gestured me into the all too familiar house, the big wooden bangles on her arms clanking as she did so.

Why did she have to be so pretty? It so hard to hate them when they’re really pretty and sweet. She looked like a little fairy or a pixie, with her cute spikey hair and big green eyes.

“Maxxie, packed all of your things up for you, they’re sitting on the couch. I must say you have some cute taste in clothing.”

“You too,” I said, and oddly enough the words didn’t taste like bullshit in my mouth. Sure the hippie getup was not my scene, but it complimented her tiny figure rather well.

“Thanks!” She beamed and dear god, her smile. Cayleigh was so fucking cute. I couldn’t handle it. I was starting to see why John may have left me for her. Hell I would’ve left someone for this girl, and I was straight! She had this way of worming her tiny self into your heart within the first few minutes of knowing her.

God dammit.

“Your hair looks so silky,” Cayleigh gushed, and I didn’t even flinch when she reached out to run her little fingers through it.

“Uh, thanks.” Ugh, she was like a cute little kid!

“I bet Maxxie braided it, didn’t he? He loves braiding hair. He so good at it too.”

I nodded in agreement. This was weird. I didn’t know how much or even if Cayleigh knew about John and me. I was afraid to ask.

So instead I awkwardly grabbed my stuff and shuffled out the door, trying to keep myself distanced from that little ball of sunshine and cute.

Fuck.

It was a long walk back to Anthony’s house, and to be completely honest I didn’t feel like being in the same room as him at the moment. I fished out my phone and called up Tucci instead.

10 minutes later his car came rolling around the corner. He wasn’t alone though, a boy I knew to be called Antonio Romagano was sitting shotgun.

“What’s with all the shit, babydoll?” Antonio asked as I piled into the back seat lugging my bag from John’s.

“Just picking up some stuff I forgot at a friend’s.”

“How’s your day been, jellybean?” Tucci asked, flashing me a smile through the rearview.

I elected to not get into detail and just stuck with, “Weird. How about you two?”

“Great. Tucci here helped me make my rounds this morning,” Antonio punched Vinny on the arm.

“Shut the fuck up, man,” Vinny warned, his voice going ice cold.

“Your rounds?” I asked, puzzled.

“Yeah, today’s my busiest day of the week. The weekend and all, you know? Everyone wants to get fucked up.”

Fucked up? Wait… did he mean…

“Drug dealing?”

Tucci sucked in a sharp breath. “Look, Regan, I know you’re gonna be pissed but-“

“It’s just a little bit of weed,” Antonio said, looking back and forth between us like we were crazy for being so worked up about it. “Calm your tits.” He dug a box of cigarettes and pulled one out, popping it in his mouth before searching for a lighter.

“Cut that shit out, nigga,” Tucci warned.

“What? It’s just a cig.”

“Don’t smoke it in here,” Gavin warned.

“Oh come on, I’ll roll the window down. The smell is easy to get out.”

Bullshit.

“I said, put it out,” Tucci snarled.

“Man, what is your problem? What you scared of mommy finding out?” Antonio taunted.

“No, I’m scared of cancer, you fuckwad.”

Shit. Don’t cry, Regan. Don’t you fucking cry.