Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

44

I managed to hold myself together until we got back to my house. Fake smiles were getting easier and easier to plaster on.

Tucci offered to help me get my stuff inside, I politely refused.

Once inside, I rushed up to my room and collapsed on my bed in a fit of tears. Fuck. Daddy, why’d you have to leave me?

“Pumpkin, why ya cryin?”

It was Anthony. Fuck, I did not want to deal with him.

“Nothing,” I said, rubbing the back of my hands against my eyes.

He came down and sat next to me on the bed, rubbing my back softly.

“Hey now, don’t cry. It’s gonna be okay. Do I need to kick someone’s ass for you?”

What the fuck? Was he having another mood swing?

“No. I just… I want my dad back.”

His lips pressed together in a sort of sympathetic look.

“I know how you feel. I want mine back too.”

And then it was really hard to hate Anthony. We didn’t speak after that, we just laid in my bed as my sniffles slowly subsided. Eventually I drifted off to sleep.

I woke with a start when my stomach gave an uncomfortable roll which sent me running straight for the bathroom.

I dry heaved a couple of times before finally the contents of my stomach spilled over into the porcelain bowl. Shit.

With a groan I sat back, my back pressed against the edge of the shower tub, with my knees pulled up to my chest.

Was it the flu? Most likely. I hadn’t felt that shitty in ages. Fuck.

I got to my feet only to have my stomach make yet another uncomfortable lurch, sending me leaning over the toilet once again.

Shit.

I dug around in the medicine cabinet behind the mirror, and the drawers and cabinets beneath the sink until I found the thermometer. I was actually pretty surprised I’d even managed to find one.

I didn’t have a temperature, but then again I didn’t trust that thing. Who knows how old it was.

Without much else to do, I grabbed the trashcan out of the bathroom and took it with me as I crawled back into bed.

Funnily enough when I woke again I felt fine. Maybe it wasn’t the flu. Then what was it?

It couldn’t be… no… that just wasn’t possible, was it?