Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

56

“So my parents are out of town for the next 4 days, I was hoping to have some kind of party tomorrow night.” That was a very unlikely statement to come out of Katie’s mouth, yet it did all the same.

“A party?” I asked, picking at the little bits of shaved carrot in my salad.

“Yeah, it was totes my idea. But Kates went along with it for once. She’s really starting to break out of her shell,” Julia smiled, throwing an arm around her girlfriend’s shoulders. Katie didn’t look too pleased.

“You and Gavin are definitely invited,” Katie said, shrugging away Julia’s arm.

“Ugh, Gavin.” Julia scrunched up her nose. Fuck her.

“Shut up,” Katie snapped. “Don’t be rude. He’s a really nice guy and he treats Regan like royalty. You have no reason to hate him.”

I guess he did kind of treat me like royalty, though that might have been just a bit of an exaggeration.

“Sounds like fun,” I jutted in, trying to squash the fight before it started. “We’ll definitely be there. I’ve got to go talk to Mr. H about my essay revisions.” I threw my bag onto my shoulder and left the girls with a smile.

It had been a while since I’d seen John and the date for my ultrasound was coming up. I figured he might want to know about that. He probably wouldn’t want to come, but at least he’d be in the loop. I didn’t like the thought of keeping him in the dark.

“Regan, what a… surprise,” John said, genuinely surprised to see me when I strolled into his room. He was halfway through a blueberry yogurt upon my intrusion.

I closed the door behind me, my hand slipping to turn the lock as I did so. Now at least we’d be able to speak without fear of interruption. Hopefully no one would knock on the door or try to open it. That would take some awkward explaining as to why John was locked in the room with his student.

“I just thought you might like to know, I’ve been to the doctors and stuff, and I’ve got an ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday. You don’t have to come or anything, I just thought I’d let you know in case you do want to…”

“Is Gavin going?” That was his first question, and in a weird way it stung me a bit.

“No, he’s got work.”

“And I assume your parents aren’t going.”

I shook my head.

“Then of course I’ll go, I am the father after all. It would be nice to see the little bugger.”

His answer shocked me. I really had not expected that.

“Um, okay. Do you mind if we take your car?”

“Not at all,” He smiled up at me, his blue eyes glistening.

My heart lurched slightly. Fuck. I was still really fucking in love with him.

“Take a seat,” He said, gesturing the desk closest to him.

I dropped my stuff and slid into the chair. It was one of those annoying connected desk chair things with a bar on one side and a basket for books underneath. But people only ever seemed to use the basket as a footrest.

“How’ve you been?” John asked, sitting back in his chair and peeling a banana.

“Good. My morning sickness seems to have calmed some. I don’t really have any other symptoms. I got a job at the Pet Palace in town.”

“Be careful with that, isn’t their something about pregnant women and cats?”

“Kitty litter,” I corrected. “And don’t worry, I looked it up online and it said I should be okay if I wear gloves and wash my hands. I don’t want to have my boss knowing about the baby yet. I’m starting to gain weight already, so it won’t be long before everyone finds out.”

“And what are you going to say once they do?”

“Piss off?” I shrugged, not really sure how to answer. I had been avoiding that thought. It would come soon enough, I didn’t want to waste time worrying about it.