Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

60

Katie made me a promise. She promised not to tell Julia, no matter what. I knew I couldn’t keep this a secret forever, but at least for the moment I could manage to keep it on the down low.

We went back to bed and that was that.

When we woke up in the morning we headed up to the kitchen. One by one we each grabbed a peach out of the bowl sitting on the counter. There was a note written in Julia’s gran’s curly handwriting, “Fresh peaches for the ladies. Enjoy! XO Nancy ~”

Katie and I followed Julia out to the front porch where we sat our asses down and ate our peaches.

“My gran calls it people watching, I prefer the term stalking,” Julia said as we watched people busy themselves around the neighborhood. There was a lady in a sports bra and athletic pants listening to her ipod on her morning jog. Another lady in a pantsuit climbed into her car, and the climbed out having forgotten her coffee. A mother of three boys was busy trying to get them all into the family mini-van. And then there was the young couple pushing a stroller.

Julia let out a sigh, resting her chin on her palm. Katie and I both turned to stare at her.

“Maybe it’s just my maternal instincts or whatever, but do you guys just every get the urge to snuggle a really fat baby?”

Katie and I shared a look before continuing to stare at Julia, our expressions changing slightly do to her words.

“What?” She stared back at us. “Is that weird?”

“Kind of,” Katie said, returning her attention to the peach in her hand.

“Oh come on, I’m not the only one. Do you ever get the urge to snuggle a really big, fat baby, Regan?”

I shrugged and rubbed the side of my face with my palm, mumbling a soft, “I dunno.”

Before Julia had a chance to ask again, I chucked my peach pit into the front yard and got to my feet.

“I’m still starving, let’s get something else to eat.”

Katie was right behind me, seconding my idea. Julia never seemed to say no when it came to food, so she was in as well.

We crowded around the kitchen table scarfing down bowls of Lucky Charms. I had forgotten how disgustingly good that cereal was.

“What’s the plan for today?” Katie asks, passing me the now nearly empty box of Lucky Charms.

“Well gran and Jon took mom to her appointment, and by the lack of squealing and climbing, I assume they’ve taken Ellie with them. They should be back later, but my grandparents are going out to dinner tonight so I’ve got mom and Ellie duty.”

“Tucci’s expecting me at his place in an hour,” I said.

“Does this mean no party tonight?” Julia didn’t seem to notice, but I caught on that Katie seemed rather relieved by this new development.

“Oh fuck, that’s right. Shit. Guess not. Oh well, next time your parents go away.”

Katie looked at me and rolled her eyes. “Yeah sure, Jules. Next time.”

I had to stifle my giggles.