Status: YAY! i wrote 15 chapters on one year!!! XD and that was 22 thousand words!(it said on my computer like 22,7somthing) I'm so proud of myself!

TLOZ, Rebirth

Guardians

The maid returned as promised. She brought Zelda dinner and a stool that was high enough for Zelda to sit on without stretching her arms too far.

"Highness," said the maid once Zelda had finished the food and was leaning back against the wall. "I have some news for you."

Zelda opened her eyes and stared at the maid curiously. "What is it?"

Reaching into the folds of her dress, the maid produced a set of keys. "Look what I was able to acquire."

Zelda's mouth dropped. "How…"

"I snuck into the master's room before I came. I found them in the bedside drawer," said the maid, smiling.

Zelda let out a squeal, but quickly shushed herself. "Quickly, find the one that unlocks these!"

With nimble fingers, the maid tried each key. Near the last of the ring, one fell in and made a clicking noise. "Got it!" With a turn, the chains fell away and Zelda slumped forward. The maid had to catch her so she wouldn't fall off the stool.

"Thank-you!" Zelda whispered excitedly. Taking a few cautious steps away from the maid, Zelda walked around the room, feeling the use of muscles that had become stiff stretch out. "I feel better already."

The maid smiled as she watched Zelda jump around. Her smile fell though as she thought of what would have to happen there soon. "Highness, I'm sorry, but I will have to redo the chains. You know-"

"I know, you'd get found out and things would go astray." Zelda returned to the maid and wrapped her in a hug. "This has been the greatest thing to happen within this past month to me. I am so grateful to you!" Zelda hugged her again.

With tears springing into her eyes, the maid returned the princess' hug. "You are welcome." When she was released, the maid made quick work of the keys and slipped off the one that had opened the locks. "I will keep this with me. When I come, I'll release you from the chains."

Zelda's smile widened and she hugged the maid even tighter. "Thank-you!"

The maid smiled and started to clean up her things. "It's time for me to be goin'."

"I understand." Zelda walked back over to the wall where the chains hung. Zelda clasped the first one back onto her wrist and the maid did the other. Once every trace of the maid had been cleaned up, Zelda said, "I hope soon my husband will come. I wish to be truly free of these chains."

The maid gave a sympathetic smile. "I know, but this is the closest I can do."

"And it's better than nothing, right?" Zelda laughed.

The maid shared it with her then went to the little hidden door in the wall. "I'll be back tomorrow. Goodnight Highness."

"Goodnight," replied Zelda.

Not a moment after the maid shut the hidden door, the great double doors opened and Granadhim entered, obviously not happy. Zelda watched as he stormed to his chair and landed in it with a hmph. She couldn't make it out, but he started mumbling under his breath and slammed his fist against the armrest.

"How!" he yelled. "How could this happen?"

Zelda looked at him curiously. She ventured and quietly asked, "What's wrong?"

Granadhim looked back at her and sneered. "When did I ever remove your gag?" His frown deepened and he turned back to staring at the fire. "Never mind. The power of the Goddess of Power and your son's blew up in my face. My entire west wing is being cleared out as we speak because of the fumes. It's frustrating!"
"What did you do to my son?" Zelda said in a sharp tone.

Granadhim snickered. "Nothing too painful. I just took a blood sample and mixed it with mine. As soon as they connected a smoky black gas started, and is still going. I can't seem to get it out!" Granadhim growled and slammed his fist against the armrest again. "I guess I'll have to wait till that hero of yours gets here. The only other way that I could still get the power from you is the way your son said it could be done."

Zelda froze. "How could you," she said in a sour tone.

Granadhim stood and smiled. "Oh, I can do many things Highness." Sticking out his hand, Zelda screamed as a shot of intense pain waved through her body. "Remember that? I can do it again to get you to talk. I need more information than what your son gave me. I know there's more, but my father never kept records. How do I combine our powers so as not to destroy a being?"

"I will NEVER tell!" Zelda said between clenched teeth.

Granadhim walked closer and smiled. "I think you will, Highness."

Duiren had been sitting in his cell for what seemed like forever. The only person he ever saw was the guard who came in with his food; and the only thing that ever happened out of what had become the ordinary to him was the day Granadhim visited.

Granadhim sauntered in, smiling like a greedy child. “Hello there boy! Have you been well? I only came down here to see if you’d like some company.”

Duiren snarled at Granadhim and recoiled into the corner of the cell.

"Oh, don't do that, son; I'm not gonna bite," Granadhim said with a smug smile.

"Yeah right, you can bite in many different ways," said Duiren with a whimper.

Granadhim laughed at Duiren's conclusion. "Smart aren't you. Now then, I have a question to ask you. Remember when I asked about your father. Well, I'm gonna ask another question regarding that. I want to know if there's another way to get the power without having to have your father here right now. Is there another way?"

Duiren frowned and turned away. "I'm only three and a half, how would I know?"

Granadhim sighed and started to walk away, shaking his head. "I could have helped you if you had told me. I might even have let you and your mother go."

Duiren looked up and stared at him. "I might just have," repeated Granadhim.

Duiren contemplated what Granadhim had said and then stuck out his arm. "You only need a little. But if you combine my blood with yours, it should work."

Granadhim smiled and pulled out a knife, making a small cut on Duiren's arm and catching the blood in a vial. "Good boy." Granadhim stood and started out the door with his spoils.

"Wait!" cried Duiren. "What about letting my mother and I out?"

Granadhim laughed. "You should learn not to believe everything you hear, or everyone you meat."

Link clenched his teeth together as a shock ran through his body. 'Stupid Granadhim! I'll get you for that!'

Monetry was a very small village, nearly deserted. The temple that housed the Spirit of Fire was dilapidated, but Link knew better than to trust the outside appearance. He looked around at the landscape and heaved a sigh. It was mainly dirt, with a few standing houses and skeletal structures, and a small tree in the center of the village behind him. There was no one who could help him with the history of the Spirit, so he was going in blind. The gypsies who lived there had lodged him for a day or so, but none knew of the god's Spirit. Link heaved another sigh, but stood straight and walked towards the temple with confidence. Shoving the door open, he walked into the main hall and sneezed. Dust flew up around him as he walked through. Piles of it laid in heaps on the floor and spider webs hung from the ceiling. The walls were caved in and bits of sunlight squeezed through. There were several doors lining the walls, and though the ones toward the west were completely destroyed, the remaining five were whole and Link chose the last on the left to start with.

'Get in, get the Spirit, and return her to the Earth god. That's all I need to do.' Swinging the door wide open, Link headed in for the evil that awaited him. 'Granadhim, I'm just one step closer now to kicking your scrawny butt!'