Sequel: When I Looked at Her
Status: Completed!

Ivory Tower

We Used to Stand So Tall

Josh sat down in their tiny apartment and watched her. He watched her as she sat near a window with a smile on her face. He didn't know if she was smiling at the beautiful day outside, or if she was in her head thinking of something. He never quite knew.

"It's beautiful out today," Genevieve smiled over at him. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

Josh sighed with relief. He hadn't lost her yet. He watched her as she stood up and smooth out her short, light pink dress.

"Josh?" She asked again, moving some of her auburn hair out of her face. Josh snapped out of his trance and smiled up at her.

"I'd love to," He nodded, he stood up and took her hand.

Josh and Genevieve, Genny, had been together for close to three years. They had met through mutual friend Max Heyler at a party and had hit it off right away. She was perfect for him. They were best friends, best friends who could kiss, touch and have sex.

After two years of love letters, love songs, and incredible sex something in Genny snapped. Josh figured it had to do with her father's death. When her father died Josh found her zoning in and out when things got tough or locking herself away completely. She reverted into her mind and would lose herself in her thoughts.

***
"Love?" Josh asked, knocking on the bathroom door. "Are you all right? You've been in there for hours. Could you come out and talk to me?"

Silence.

"I need you to open the door, Genny." Josh begged, jiggling the handle. "I need to know that you're all right. Say something."

Silence.

"Genny, please!" Josh begged. "Just open the door, scratch at it, kick it, drop something, run the water, do something. Do something so I know that you're okay."

Genny crawled towards the door, unlocking it and opening it.

"Back away from the door, I'm opening it." Josh stated. Genny did as told and backed away from the door, leaning against the tub.

"Love," He sighed at the state of her. She wore just one of Josh's shirts and was a wreck. She had been holed up in this bathroom for what seemed like days. She hadn't come out to eat, Josh was certain she hadn't showered. All she did was sit in the bathroom.

Josh sat down beside her and rubbed her freezing cold legs. He pulled her close and pulled a towel over her legs to keep her warm.

"Can you talk to me?" He asked, running his hands all over her, trying to keep her warm.

Silence.

That was the day that everything changed for Josh and Genny. Some days she would be totally fine and Josh could speak with her and be with her freely. Then there were the days when she would lock herself in a room and do God knows what.

....

During their walk Josh wondered where they were now. They were still in love, no doubt. Before her father had passed they were engaged, but they had called it off once they found out he was dying. They called it off so Genny could focus on her father.

Genny's moments of retreating away from Josh and the world weren't as frequent or as severe as they once were.

"I've been thinking," Genny stated.

"Really?" Josh smirked. "That's so out of the ordinary for you."

"Shush," Genny smiled, tugging her hand from his.

"Okay, tell me." Josh smiled, taking her hand again.

"I want us to start up our engagement again," Genny admitted.

Josh stopped walking. He looked down at his one time fiancee and wondered what to say. It wasn't that he didn't want to marry it just that she was still fragile. Their relationship was still so fragile. Josh was scared that if they returned to being engaged that they would fall apart completely, and he didn't want that.

Josh immediately hated himself for taking a moment to think, he saw Genny's face begin to fall and her breathing get heavy. She was running to the tower.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been researching "ivory tower" for a bit and have somewhat of a grasp on the concept of it. I really quite like it. What I write about the situation is basically my own interpretation. I don't claim it to be completely true. I just wanted to clear that up! My interpretation could be completely wrong! There are so many meanings to this term so I kind of built onto it for my own benefit.
I hope you all like it! Please, continue reading! Send comments or messages! I would enjoy comments as this story just came to me and I'm not too sure on where to take it! I thank you all for your support!