Sequel: When I Looked at Her
Status: Completed!

Ivory Tower

Are You Back?

Max stood alone near the drink table looking out at the crowd of kids present. There were some older kids, and some younger. Mostly younger. The kids around his age,14, all looked bored and angry that they were dragged to this event. Max was no exception.

He spotted a pretty auburn haired girl in the corner wearing a V for Vendetta t-shirt. He walked over to her and sat beside her.

"This is pretty lame, huh?" Max stated.

"Yeah, it is. You get dragged here, too?" She asked, turning and looking him.

"Yup," Max nodded. "I'm Max, by the way."

"Genny," The girl smiled.

"I like your shirt," Max smiled.

"You do?" Genny asked. "It's one of my favourites."

"Mine, too!" Max smiled.

The rest of the night for Max and Genny was spent talking about their favourite movies and bands. Max and Genny had a ton in common. They had become fast friends.

"What are you doing on Saturday?" Max asked.

"I got nothing," Genny smiled.

"Do you wanna hang out? Go check out some old record stores?" Max asked.

"Yes!" Genny smiled. "I'd love that."

They exchanged phone numbers and then Genny got up, following a middle-aged man who Max assumed was her father.

That was the day that Max and Genny started their friendship.


Max held Genny tightly in the doorway of the apartment, sobbing. He had never been so happy to see someone in his entire life.

"I can't believe you're here," Max sobbed, pulling out of the hug and held her face instead. He pushed her hair off of her face and kissed her forehead, still crying. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Genny nodded, crying herself.

"Come in, come in." Max stated, taking her hand and pulling her inside the apartment.

"Matt! Dan! Chris!" Max called. "Come see who's here!"

The guys all filed out of their separate rooms and beamed when they saw Genny. Each man ran to her, and held her tightly.

"How was the flight, love?" Matt asked.

"Long," Genny smiled.

"We're so happy you're here," Dan smiled. "We should go out! Get some food in you, liquor you up to add to the jet lag. Could be fun."

"Who am I to turn down food and liquor?" Genny smiled.

The boys all headed out the door. Max and Genny trailing behind. Max took Genny's hand and held it as they walked. It was nothing new to them. Max and Genny had a very close friendship, but it was never threatening to Josh. Max never had any romantic feelings towards Genny and Genny didn't have any towards Max either. They were just affectionate best friends.

"Before I lose you to everyone else tonight, can I ask you something?" Max asked.

"You want to know what it was like in the institute?" Genny suggested, looking at him.

"Please? I just want to know how they treated you and what they did to help you. Did it work? Are you okay? Are you my Genny again?" Max asked.

"First off, I was always your Genny. That never changed," Genny laughed. "And they treated me really nicely there. Everyone was really accepting and non-judgemental. I think that's what I needed. I needed to be around people who understood the workings of my brain and where I was with what was happening to me."

"How did they help you?" Max asked.

"Lots of therapy. Group therapy, solo sessions, art therapy, music therapy. The works," She smiled. "Then if we weren't doing group activities we got to do whatever we wanted. I kept a diary of my time there, and read a lot. It was nice. Difficult, but it was worth it."

"Do you feel like yourself again?" Max asked.

"I feel more relaxed and at peace with myself than I have ever been," Genny smiled.

"I'm so glad," Max smiled.

"How is he?" Genny asked, referring to Josh. She had tried so hard to avoid the fact that Josh was the reason she was in L.A, but there was only so much she could go through before she had to ask.

"Not good," Max sighed, shaking his head. "He hasn't been himself for months. He's a wreck."

"Because of me?"

"Yeah, Genny." Max nodded. "And because this album is so taxing on us all, but because of you. We've all been giving him a rough time because he won't admit that he's upset about you leaving. And how he's been acting."

"How has he been acting?" Genny asked.

"You won't like it," Max replied softly.

"He's been sleeping around a lot," Max sighed. "Had a few girlfriends, but they never lasted. He always wanted them to be you."

"I'm sure he did," Genny stated derisively.

"No, he did." Chris stated, turning around and joining their conversation. "He would have sex with these girls and he'd say your name."

"Don't lie," Genny mumbled.

"He did!" All four boys replied in unison.

"Really?" Genny asked.

It broke her heart to know that Josh had been seeing other girls while she was away. Generally speaking a break up wasn't what she wanted, but it was implied when she left and didn't tell him. She knew she didn't have a right to get mad, but she was. She was really hurt.

"Yeah," Dan nodded. "It's all true. He's been miserable."

"Does it make me a bad person if that kind of makes me feel happy?" Genny asked.

"Just a little," Dan laughed, throwing an arm over her shoulder as they walked into a bar.

After a few drinks and too many orders of wings and fries everyone went back to the apartment around three in the morning, only to find Josh wasn't back yet.

"You can have my bed, love." Max offered once everyone went off to bed. "I'll sleep in Josh's bed. It's obvious he won't be home tonight."

"Max, don't be silly." Genny replied, shaking her head. "You can stay in your bed. I'll stay on the couch."

"Just stay in my bed with me," Max laughed. "Like when we were in high school."

"I still can't believe your mom let us do that," Genny laughed.

"She knew what we were to each other," Max smirked. "Which is probably why I should have made a move on you. She never would have guessed."

"You wouldn't dare," Genny laughed.

"You're right," Max nodded. "You were Josh's."

"I was," Genny nodded, looking down at her feet.

"You always will be," Max stated firmly. "We'll fix this."

"I hope you're right," Genny replied.

Max and Genny got ready for bed and laid down together. It was just like the sleepovers they used to have as teenagers. Well, before Josh came into the picture. Max had been okay with Josh "taking" Genny from him, just so long as he treated her right.

"Max?"

"Hmm?" Max replied, his eyes closed. He was exhausted.

"Will you cuddle me?" She asked softly.

Max laughed softly and nodded. He rolled onto his side and spooned her, helping her fall asleep almost immediately.

Around 4:30 in the morning Josh stumbled into the apartment and spotted bags against the wall. He thought nothing of it. He stumbled to his and Max's room and pulled off his shirt. He looked over at Max's bed and saw another body laying with Max. He thought nothing of it. It wasn't until he spotted her jacket laying on the floor. He would know that jacket anywhere because it had been his, and he hadn't seen it since Genny left.

Josh angrily flicked on the lights and walked to Max's bed. He ripped the comforter back and backed away when he saw Genny laying in Max's bed.

"What the fuck is going on?" Josh shouted.
♠ ♠ ♠
How cute is Max and Genny's friendship? The title of the chapter was directed more to Max and Genny's friendship than Josh in this chapter, seeing as he wasn't in it much!
Let me know what you think of this chapter, and what will happen next! Thanks for the feedback thus far!