Sequel: When I Looked at Her
Status: Completed!

Ivory Tower

What Do I Do When I Am So In Love With You?

It was rainy that day. Thunder. Lightning. Heavy rain. It was Josh and Genny's favourite kind of day. These kind of days meant they could lay in bed together and just be together. They could talk, read, sleep, do whatever.

Today they laid in bed, Josh leaning against the headboard while Genny rested on his chest reading a book. Josh had one headphone in his ear listening to some music. Not a word was exchanged between them, and they were fine with it.

"Listen to this," Josh ordered softly, holding an earbud to her. Genny nodded and put the piece in her ear.

"Is this that song you've been working on?" Genny smiled up at him. Josh nodded.

"Do you like it?" He asked. He always said that Genny was his biggest critic. Not because she judged him, but because he wanted everything he made to be perfect and he saw her as perfection. So if she loved the song, then it was ready.

"It's beautiful, Josh." Genny nodded, handing back his earbud.

"What are you reading?" Josh asked, turning her book over to look at the title.

"Girl, Interrupted." Genny replied. "It's a memoir of a woman named Susanna Kaysen. She was admitted into a psychiatric hospital. It's about her time there and the people she met. Talks about mental illness and recovery."

"It sounds good," Josh nodded. "Do you like it?"

"Yeah," Genny nodded. "I'm really liking it."

"It stopped raining," Josh stated. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

"Okay," Genny laughed.

They got up out of bed and got dressed. Genny put on one of Josh's jean jackets and then took his hand, letting him lead her out of their little brownstone.

"So," Josh stated after they'd been walking for a while.

"So?" Genny laughed, looking up at him.

"You love me, right?" Josh asked.

"Yes!" Genny replied, her face getting hot. Why would he ask something like that?

"Good," Josh smiled. "Because I love you, too."

"I know you do," Genny nodded.

Josh stopped walking and turned to face her. He smiled and then knelt down on the ground.

"What are you doing?" Genny laughed. "Your pants are going to get soaked!"

"I think it'll be worth it," Josh smiled.

Josh took hold of her hips and pulled her close to him.

"What?" Genny asked, laughing.

"Genevieve Walker," Josh smiled, his hands shaking. "I have spent the last year and a half with you and I'm so very in love with you. The only reasonable thing to do right now, I think, is to be together forever. So, will you marry me?"

There, on the ground, knelt Josh holding a tiny platinum banded ring with a tiny round diamond on top. It was probably far more than he could afford, Genny was sure. He was asking her to spend her life with him. Him. The man who could make her the happiest. The man who made her laugh and smile at any moment.

"Are you serious?" Genny asked, she was panicking. In a good way.

"I'm on the wet ground, holding up a ring. Yes, love. I'm serious," Josh replied, his breathing quickening. "So, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" Genny nodded. "Yes, Josh. I'll marry you!"

Josh let out a large sigh of relief and slipped the ring onto her finger. He stood up and kissed her forcefully.

"I can't believe this," Genny smiled, looking at her ring as she rested her hands on his chest. "You're sure about this?"

"No," Josh smiled. "I just know that I want this, so that's enough for me."

Genny smiled and hugged him tightly.

They both knew that it was fast. They both knew that they were very young for this, but nothing had been decided. They didn't care what anyone else thought, they were in love and wanted to be together forever.

Josh and Genny's road to forever had a lot of bumps, twists and turns.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to the readers, subscribers and Mr Reckless for the comment! Please, keep them coming!