Status: Active

Faeling

Janna Mason

Merritt sat in a small booth in Benedict’s Cafe, nursing a cappuccino as he watched the door. He’d chosen the spot carefully—it was far enough away from other tables that they would be able to speak comfortably without being overheard, but still had a good view of the door. He’d come a good half hour early, wanting to be there waiting when Janna came in. It was ten to two when she finally came breezing through the door in a black blazer and pencil skirt—very professional, very attractive. Very Janna. Janna was an inch taller than Merritt’s own five foot ten, and always in heels. She liked forcing people to look up to meet her domineering amber gaze. Her black hair was tied back tightly in a knot, though the few times Merritt had seen her in social situations it had always been down, making her look even more like she belonged on a run-way instead of in a conference room.

She saw him almost instantly when she came in—so quickly, in fact, that Merritt wondered briefly if she shared his fae skill of heightened awareness to surroundings. Based on their other meetings, though, he didn’t think so. She was just naturally a very observant person, her amber eyes picking out every detail of the world around her, disassembling every emotion and thought of the people she met.

“Merritt,” she said exactly, her hand reaching out to shake his as he rose from his seat to greet her.

“Janna,” he returned more pleasantly, grasping her cool hand for a moment. “Thank you for meeting me. I know how full your schedule must be.”

She eyed him warily, no doubt picking up on the traces of anxiety he felt. He did what he could to push it down, not wanting her to sneak into his mind and take control of the conversation.

“What is it that you wanted to speak with me about, Merritt?” She asked.

He met her eyes steadily, almost daring her to take him seriously. “Oz Dannel.”

The expression of surprise on her face was quelled quickly, but not fast enough that he didn’t catch it. “Oz Dannel.” He nodded confirmation. She arched one perfectly-groomed eyebrow. “Is this going to be blackmail?”

Despite himself, Merritt let out a loud laugh. He, of course, regained control swiftly. Her stormy expression spoke volumes about how entirely unamused she was. Putting on a more serious face, he assured her that, “No, no. It’s nothing like that.” Suddenly he had trouble meeting her gaze. “I’m... Interested in her.” This time both jet eyebrows went up.

“You’re interested in her.” He nodded, deciding that making a joke about there being an echo would not diffuse the situation. “In what way, exactly?” Janna’s eyes were hard, colder even than their normal iciness. They weren’t ice, they were flint. It was clear that she would not tolerate anything against Oz. After a moment of his silence, her brows furrowed as if seeing something she hadn’t noticed before—or sensing, more likely.

“I met her yesterday,” he admitted softly, staring into his cold cappuccino. “I saw her sketch-book. She seems...” He couldn’t help but pause awkwardly, not wanting to say any of this or appear vulnerable in front of Janna Mason of all people. “She seems,” he started again, “to be part of my prophesy.”

Janna’s eyes went wide. “I would accuse you of lying if I didn’t know better.” She seemed to think for a moment. “How did you know?”

She listened intently as he explained about the Celtic symbol and brought out a quick sketch of it he’d drawn himself. Janna looked at it briefly before sighing.

“I recognize it. I hoped you were wrong, but I’ve seen this symbol too many times to not acknowledge this. Even when she was eight she was drawing this stupid thing.” She looked suddenly tired. “What are your words?”

“Win her and you win the world.”

Janna looked devastated. Neither of them was hiding their emotions very well anymore. It was a fairly serious situation to involve a human in faeling matters. Fortunately, all of the fae community understood the importance of a prophesy and wouldn’t interfere. If this was what Merritt was meant to do, they wouldn’t get between him and his destiny. Most would even help him to win her.

Merritt wasn’t certain that Janna would. There was something in her that seemed fiercely protective of Oz. He knew that they were friends, but apparently it went deeper than he’d previously thought. Janna had mentioned Oz at eight, but he couldn’t think of a good reason why they would know each other as children. He doubted that he would get the story out of her—it was personal and he didn’t think it would help him win Oz to know Janna’s past.

“You want me to help you win her,” Janna confirmed. He nodded. She seemed to be collecting herself. “I won’t have you using her, Merritt,” she said, ignoring the slight shocked look on his face. “I have heard about you, you know. I know how you are with women. She’s not prepared for this. She doesn’t know who you are and she doesn’t know that you want her for a prophesy. I don’t think you plan to keep her once you’ve ‘won her’.” Merritt blinked, surprised both by the passion in her voice and the frankness with which she lay out the entire issue. He didn’t bother responding to her last statement. He didn’t want to say it and she didn’t want to hear it.

“Will you help me or not?” He had wanted to sound uncaring and caustic, but his voice came out sounding more desperate than anything else.

A small smile appeared on Janna’s face. “You can’t push her either, can you?”

His eyes widened as he quickly spat out, “So it’s not just me! She is a human, isn’t she? Why don’t skills work on her?” He paused for a moment before admitting, “I saw her today while I was glamoured. I think she almost saw through it.”

Janna laughed. For a person as harsh as she was, her laugh was surprisingly... Pretty—like small bells in the wind. “I wouldn’t suggest using a glam on her again. I don’t think she can see through them, but it’s a close thing. She knows something isn’t quite right. I’ve never met another human who could perceive skills at all. And to answer your question, she is absolutely human.” She sobered again. “Which means you have to be careful. I have known Oz for years and she hasn’t figured out that I am of fae, but it’s like she senses something… Other. It’s been close on several occasions.” She paused again, as if considering whether or not to say what she was thinking. After a moment of silence she continued in a quieter voice. “I wonder sometimes,” she said as if admitting to believing a conspiracy theory, “if she is drawn to that- that sense of otherness.”

Merritt nodded his head slowly. He had noticed that she was positively surrounded by faelings—he’d even thought she was one because of it.

“Oz isn’t a faeling,” Janna said, sounding like she was confirming it for herself rather than for Merritt. “I know that much. But she is the strangest human I have ever met.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my favorite chapter, but I hope it worked for all of you. (All four of you. Each and every one of which I absolutely adore.)

xo, Amy