The Life of She

commitment

It’s the next year of high school and things have changed, though she doesn’t know if for the better or not. Everyone is getting older, everyone is getting wiser, everyone is moving on, and everyone is leaving. A big chunk of her friends are in their final years while she’s only in her second. She still has her best friend, as well as a handful of others, but it’s like the time to be children is dwindling down. In a saddening realization, she knows her group is dying.

They still have fun and they still laugh, but there’s a serious undertone to everything they say. Everyone has an understanding of the future, but no one wants to accept it. No one wants the year to end. No one wants to leave the school because of friends. No one wants to become adults. No one wants to drift apart.

But it’s already happened. Personalities change and people start to go away. Friends that were supposed to last forever suddenly turn into strangers that will only be a name in a year book. They were her whole identity, her friends. When she’s missing so many people, she’s like a puzzle; useless you have all the interlocking pieces, it's just a useless pile of colorful cardboard.

But those problems are swept under a rug to be dealt with when the time comes. The depression is only an undertone in their jokes. No one takes it seriously until the group has turned into nothing. Dozens of laughs had dwindled down to four. Friendships had been discarded for the real life outside.

She’ll always remember committing to never growing up.