The Life of She

lie

She’s become somewhat of a leader to them all; or at least she feels like it. She’s wants to be the strongest link in the chain, to always be there for them when they are at their weakest. She wants to be the one to make the hardest decisions.

New people come and go and even fewer stay. She yearns for the beginning to come back. She’s too close to the end and isn’t prepared. The novel is tying up loose ends and she’d rather die off than let it just end like this.

She lives every day like it’s the last. She’s not afraid to fail, not afraid to love, not afraid to lose. The only thing that petrifies her is the closing of the book. She fights, she cries, she laughs. She feels more fulfilled than she could ever possibly be and still can’t get enough.

Like a too full glass of water, she spills when the oldest class leaves the school, just like the ones prior, and she’s lost. She really is the leader now, along with hundreds of other students. They rule this school now and all plan to take that roll. She knows all too well of what that means. She tells herself that she won’t be like the year before. She’ll continue to fight for her life and never give up. She believes that promise.

Her memory regrets ever believing that lie.