The Life of She

choice

So far, her Senior year has been nothing but fun and laughing. Homework that has been assigned had gone unfinished during the weekend, giving her more time with friends. She has a lax attitude about everything, like she’s always had. Friends were the most important part of her life, and she had more than she ever expected to.

However, time seem to pass by all too fast, just like everyone before her had said. One day it seemed like the first of the school year, the next she was on her way out to never return. Her last day as a student was met with tears and laughter, with long hugs of love mixed with sadness, and the realization that this really was the end.

Just like the Seniors before her, the end had come. No matter what she did, there was no way she could stop it. She wasn’t ready for the adult world, not even close to ready. No matter how many times she had complained about trivial things, this school had become home. Teachers and students had become family. Now, with the up and coming presence of graduation, that family was breaking apart.

Friends told her the plans they had for after they left. Most were going off to college, whether it was local or very far away. Others were going straight to work to make their own living. No one was staying the child that they all had inside them. Who was she going to be?

She vaguely remembers that fateful choice.