The Life of She

one

Covered from head to toe in forest green garb, they all mingle together and look the same. They all wear the same gown, the color of their school, and blend in to look like a sea of green. The only thing that distinguishes them is their decorated hats and the bulges under their gowns that hide pranks.

She’s taking pictures with friends, setting a visual reminder of a day she’s been looking forward to since middle school. She smiles, and most of them are for real happiness. They all joke and laugh, hugging people they usually wouldn’t. It’s a day for happiness as they wait to graduate.

When they are called into line, she rocks from foot to foot to relieve the pain in her feet. Heels were never her thing, but the dress under the gown needed them. She plays with her uncharacteristically straightened hair and makes sure her makeup is in place.

Her family is there to cheer for her when he name is called, all lost in a mob of other family, but she’s nervous. She has high expectations of what graduation is supposed to feel like, and she doesn’t want them ruined by a bad picture or an accidental fall on her part. She reminds herself to be careful as she walks on the stage.

They’re called to leave and everyone goes out single file. There are nerves in the air, but it’s covered up by talk. She takes a big breath and starts to walk.

Her single memory is to take one step at a time.