The Life of She

abandonment

She was always glued to her mother’s side. For the things that she can remember, the blonde was always in them. Telling her good morning, cooking her breakfast, making her laugh with childish games. With the few memories she has, she knows her mother is always there for her. Her mother is her best friend.

They drive in a very familiar car, a red that reflect the sun and makes her eyes flare white when she looks too long. Her mother had given her lunch and a pillow, and she’s not exactly sure why. She trusts her, though, and just sits in the back happily while telling her mother a story that probably has little to no importance to anyone other than herself.

Her mother takes her hand and leads her to a strange building. The entrance has a glass door and she can see inside. There’s other kids her age running around in the back, screaming and yelling like young children do. She’s confused as to why they’re all here and why her mother has brought her here.

The woman talks to another, a family friend whose face never was too familiar to the child, but she smiles back at the woman anyway. She’s only waiting for her mother to take her back home so they can watch another movie.

Her mother leans down and gives her a kiss on the head, telling her that she loves her and that she’ll be back soon. She just stands there with her lunch and pillow and watches as her mother turns her back and walks out the door.

She watches with big, brown eyes as she gets into her crimson car and drives away, without her. The second she pulls onto the road and out of sight, she starts to cry and beg. All she wants is her mother back.

The family friend takes the little girl and consoles her the way you would do with any child. Toys and treats only stop the tears, but not the sadness. Her mother is gone, and she doesn’t know why. She forgives her mother comes back later to pick her up. She clings and doesn’t want to let go.

Memories after that are scattered. All she remembers is being abandoned.