The Life of She

car

She understands the concept of school now. It’s only been a year or two but she’s learned more than she ever thought she could know about life. She understands that she’ll be off on her own for longer than she’s ever been. It’s a frightening thought, but getting away gives her some kind of joy that she keeps as a personal secret. With back pack high and tight, she steps out of the ever present red car and runs into school by herself. For once, she doesn’t need her mother’s help.

Everything seems easy and it’s more fun then she expected it to be. She’s made fast friends with some of the kids, and there are other’s she stays far away from. The teacher is nice and greets them all with a smile and makes them feel welcome. On the first day, she makes the mistake of calling the teacher her mom. Her cheeks flare in embarrassment, but others do the same and she feels common place.

The routine goes on and she’s still excited. The older kids scare her, but she toughs it out or stays quiet. She’ll be the big kid one day, and she’ll make everyone feel welcome. That’s years to come, so she listens to a friendly conversation while nibbling on lunch.

It goes on like this for a while before things start to get boring and hard. Learning doesn’t catch her attention as much as she thought it would. She doesn’t understand things, and trying not to be a burden, she pretends she knows everything. Her grades, the little she has, reflect that. The teacher brushes it off because she’s a child, she’ll grow used to learning and be back on track.

The only thing she looks forward to every day is seeing that red car parked outside of the school where her mother waits. All she wants to remember is that car.