The Life of She

friend

By now, she was a first year student in a middle school. In only the first few years of her life, students had taught her to be hard and icy in the way she thought. Even though she wouldn’t say it out loud, she came to start judging people the way that kids had judged her. But the thing she did the most was remain quiet and do her work. Confrontation wasn’t her style.

Her first day went silently by until she headed to the lunch room. She had yet to make any friends, and with the strict seating arrangement, she thought she would be the only one to eat at the eight seated table.

On her way over, a new student popped up next to her and introduced herself. She was happy and peppy, something she used to be, and it annoyed her. She was jealous about how happy someone could be while she constantly was in a downward spiral, but she didn’t tell the girl to go away. She just let her talk herself out.

She figured out that they had two classes together. The new girl made sure that she stayed by her side in each one. She even got a couple words from her, which she never thought would happen. The new girl bid her goodbye as the day ended and she only nodded as her farewell.

She only remembers she made a best friend that day.