The Life of She

forever

An older family member had made sure that she was taken care of on her first day of high school. It was a little daunting, she had to admit. She still felt like a small middle school student when first walking through the doors. Everyone looked so much older, even the classmates in her own year. Inside she was intimidated, but on the outside she oozed nothing but confidence. She would act normal, as if this was nothing new.

Her best friend was by her side like a side-kick, smiling and laughing about the new experiences while she did the same. She could tell she was scared too, but promised to take care of her. What was the difference between this and eighth grade, other than older students and harder studies?

When she met up with her cousin’s group of friends at lunch, she hadn’t expected there to be so many of them. They all sat out in the sunshine of a fading summer, their eyes bright with content while they caught up with friends. When she was introduced, along with her best friend, they were welcomed like family. In a way, they were exactly that.

She hadn’t ever felt so accepted in her life. Others shared the same kind of characteristics she had, making her feel more at ease and be herself. It had never been this easy to let go, even if just a little bit. She didn’t know how long it would last, but she would make the best of it.

She knew these memories were going to stay forever.