Sequel: Ever After
Status: FINISHED! Please check out the sequel, Ever After if you want more!

Fix Me

A Little Bit of You

“Well, you’re all stitched up and bandaged now. Just avoid any excessive movements and you should be just fine,” Doctor Page explained as he scribbled notes down on a clipboard. Occasionally he would look at Josh curiously, and Josh knew he couldn’t fool a doctor.
Josh’s parents sat in the corner of the all-white hospital room. They both were slightly shaky and completely stunned at the nights events. Overall, however, they were just happy that their son was okay. But I’m not okay, Mom and Dad, Josh thought, I’m far from it, actually. Maybe one day I’ll have the courage to tell you both that, but not tonight.
“Just one more thing,” Dr. Page added, “how are your eating habits lately, Joshua? I noticed your weight is dangerously below average for someone your age and height.”
“They’re fine,” Josh answered coldly, “I’ve been eating fine.”
Dr. Page looked at Corlynn and Miles, who sat perplexed in the corner.
“He’s been eating normally,” Corlynn said softly. “Less junk food, but that’s a good thing, right?”
The doctor hesitated before he answered, sizing Josh up one more time. “Yes, I suppose. Would you mind if I took some of your blood, though, Josh? I just want to make sure there isn’t something we’re missing here.”
Josh straightened and his eyes got a little wider. He couldn’t let them take his blood. They’d see the heroin in it. “No, I don’t want you to do that,” Josh shook his head. “I’ve been through a lot tonight already and another needle is just…too much for me right now.”
The doctor raised his eyebrows at Josh. This angered Josh for some reason, and he muttered, “You did ask if I minded. Well, I mind.”
“Joshua.” Miles spoke from the corner sternly.
Corlynn rose from her seat and put a hand on her son’s shoulder. “I think we should get you home anyway. Perhaps we’ll reschedule, Dr. Page?”
“Yes, of course.” The doctor nodded as if he understood. “Have a good night. See you in a week to remove those stitches, Josh.”
In a heavy silence the Ramsay family drove home through the night’s bitter chill.

It was all about keeping a low profile. If no one really noticed his existence, no one would ask what had happened to him. It’s not like it was easy to tell, anyway. The bandage was underneath his shirt; the only way someone could tell he was hurt was if they paid attention to how he winced all the time. He was trying his best not to, but it hurt more than he cared to admit.
Josh was just switching binders at his locker between classes. As he pulled his History binder out, pens and pencils clattered to the floor.
“Great,” Josh grumbled, “now I’ll be late because I have to try and bend down to pick this sh*t up…”
Before he could get down to reach them, however, two feminine hands handed them to him. He reached out to take them and his eyes found his favourite dark green ones.
“Here,” Kali smiled at him as she put the writing utensils in his hand.
“…Thanks.” Josh said quietly.
“No problem.”
“So, um, what are you doing here?” Josh asked. “We’re talking at school again?”
“Well we won’t be if you’re going to act like that,” Kali raised her eyebrow and laughed softly. “I actually wanted to talk to you about what you said on Friday night and how right you were.”
“What exactly did I say again?”
“You said that I still wanted to be friends with you, and you were right, I do,” Kali explained. “I want things to be like they were, and maybe we can build up that trust again.”
Josh stared at her for a few moments. Was today going to turn out to be his day after all? “Wow, really…?”
Kali nodded, and that’s when Josh saw them, lurking at the end of the hallway, leaning against the lockers. Jeremy and Raven were watching Josh and Kali like vultures. Everything came crashing back down. Josh’s side gave an involuntary throb, causing him to groan and put his hand on it.
“Hey, are you okay?” Kali’s brow furrowed in worry. “What’s wrong with your side?”
“Someone…cut me with a bottle the other night. It’s okay, I’m fine.” He answered quietly. Everything Xavier had told him was running around in his head once more. This was the girl Josh loved and he’d do anything to avoid putting her in danger. He had to protect her as best as he could, and if that meant doing the one thing he didn’t want to…well, he didn’t have much of a choice.
“Oh my god…” Kali whispered. “Josh, that’s awful—” She reached out and touched his side softly, feeling the thick bandage underneath.
Josh recoiled from her touch and slammed his locker door closed. “Just stop it, Kali!” He pushed past her and disappeared up the stairs. Immediately he wanted to run back to her and apologize, but he knew he couldn’t. I’m doing this for her, he reminded himself. There’s a little bit of you in all this…
Kali turned around slowly to watch his retreating form and confusion invaded her features. She could’ve sworn that what she proposed to Josh was exactly what he wanted, so what was his problem? Why had he suddenly got so upset with her? What did I do wrong?
Kali noticed the two pairs of eyes watching her from the end of the hallway. She knew those kids, they were serious drug addicts. Everything about their appearances advertised unhealthy habits. They both smiled almost hungrily at her and cold shivers ran down Kali’s spine. Quickly, she walked the other way. She didn’t like those kinds of people and she had no respect for them either. In fact, she almost felt sorry for them. Almost, but not quite.
♠ ♠ ♠
are you confused? ohp, sorry. all will be cleared up soon....
11 subscribers! beauty. i love you guys! :)
rec/comment/subscribe! <3