Growing Up

Three

"You're coming tonight, right?" Garrett said into the phone.

"Of course. I need a ride though."

"Umm, I'm not going to be able to. I have someone I need to pick up/ How comfortable are you around John?"

"Just send him. I'll be fine."

"He said he'll be there at nine."

"Ten-four. Later," I hung up the phone. Ever since Garrett started talking to a girl we go to school with named Rachael, he's been blowing me off. I mean, I'm glad he finally started talking to a girl, but still.

When nine P.M. rolled around, I was sitting on the doorsteps, waiting for Johm.

A white Dodge Ram 1500 pulled up in front of my house. "Hey pretty lady, need a ride?" He rolled down the window and I could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

"Very cute O'Callaghan. Just drive."

---

"Dylan!" was the first thing I heard when I walked through the door.

"Pat!" I yelled in response. "Oh God. I have a feeling I'm not staying here until midnight," I mumbled. It was New Year's Ever and everyone was already drunk and dancing on each other.

"John's the designated driver, hence, why he's not hammered already," Pat stated. I just nodded and walked away.

Two and a half hours later, I had received 3 guys' numbers, got hit on 12 times, and was offered 24 drinks. By 11:30, I was annoyed and tired of people. I grabbed a Red Bull off the counter and went outside. I found the hammock in the darkness and plopped down in it.

After swaying back and forth and taking swigs of Red Bull for ten minutes, I grew bored.

"You okay?" I jumped at the voice.

"Yeah John, I'm fine. Thanks."

"You looked pretty pissed earlier before you came out here." I sighed. "What's wrong?"

"I don't wanna be here. I came here because Garrett begged me earlier this week, and he's no where to be seen."

"He's a dude with a crush, he's gonna do that."

"I know, and I respect him enough not to go in there and bother him, but you know."

"I know." We sat there in silence for a couple minutes."You like him."

"Excuse me?"

"You think he's cute. You want to date him."

"No I don't."

"You're lying."

"So what if I am? He's still with her and I'm still single."

"Go get him back! She's a bitch. Fight for what was yours first."

"John, it's not that simple. I'm too nice, and he was never mine to claim."

"Your mom's in the Army, but you're scared to yell at a girl to back off your man?"

"John..." I warned.

"All right, all right," he raised his hands in defense.

"Come on, it's almost midnight. After this, I'll take you home." I nodded and followed him.

"Can I ask you something?" He looked at me before we went inside. I nodded. "Have you ever been kissed?"

"No," I whispered.

"This is the sweetest I've ever been to a girl, so bear with me, but can I have the privilage of kissing you at midnight?"

I don't know if it was because I was mad at Garrett for bailing on me, or irratated with the stupid people at the party, but something inside me screamed yes.

I smirked, grabbed his hand and pulled him inside.

"Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted. I grabbed him by his shirt collar and pushed my lips to his. "Happy New Year," I whispered.

"Happy New Year," he kissed me again.

"Hey guys, happy new year," Garrett came up to us, Rachael in tow.

"I guess I should probably take you home now," John said.

"That would be wonderful."

"Come on," he grabbed my hand and led me to his truck.

We rode in silence the entire way to my house. "John, are you all right?" I looked at him in the dim glow of the dash lights.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he yawned.

"You're spending the night here. You're not getting in a wreck."

"I'll be fine, I promise."

"Let me see your phone."

"What? Why?"

"Just let me see it." He sighed and handed me it. "Call me if you get too tired. I'll talk to you," I said, handing it back.

"Thanks, he said. I leaned over, kissed him, and whispered a goodnight in his ear.

I got out of the truck and he drove off. Before I could even make it up the door steps, my phone rang.

"Tired already?" I asked, smiling into the receiver.

"No, I just wanted to talk to you." I love how raspy his voice sounded when he was tired oer the phone.

"Are you listening to Death Cab?" I asked, hearing music playing in the background.

"Yeah, you listen to them?"

"Garrett got me hooked," I admitted.

"Garrett's got a good taste in music."

"He does," I went into the kitchen, thankful my dad wasn't home and cooked a grilled cheese.

"Is that offer still good to spend the night?"

"Of course."

"Does your dad care?"

"He's at a party. He won't be home until tomorrow."

"I'm pulling in your driveway now." We hung up the phone and I met him at my door.

"Hey," he said cooly.

"Hey," I smiled. "You want something to eat?"

"No thanks." I was cut off by my phone ringing.

"Dylan, where the hell did you go?" Garrett whined into the phone.

"I left. John took my home. He said he would right in front of you.."

The line went silent and I knew he felt stupid. "Is he there with you?"

"He is."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Later," I hung up the phone. "What the hell crawled up his ass?" I said, plopping down on the couch.

"Well, I have a feeling I have an idea..." John said, looking at his phone. He handed me it and I stared at the text in shock. Don't touch her.

"He's just being protective," I sighed.

"Or he's jealous."

"He's not jealous."

"All right," he raised his hands in defense.

"How tired are you?" I asked.

"What did you have in mind?"

"Scary movies."

"Hell yeah," he smirked. I let him pick out a movie while I got a blanket.

I came back and he was sitting on the couch, watching the previews. I sat down beside him and threw the blanket over the both of us. He then put his arm around my shoulder as I laid my head on his chest.

He fell sleep before the movie even started and I wasn't too far behind.