Boys Like You

Chapter 2

7pm rolled around fast, like these things always did when there was an important decision to make at a certain time. Taya was sat in her living room staring at the front door. I should go, It could be fun. She thought, before shaking the thought from her head. Deep down inside she really wanted to go, it would be fun, and she could meet people. But her anxiety was getting the better of her. It was those same feelings she’d feel before she would leave to go to school, the shaking, and nervousness. She took a couple of deep breaths before jumping up off the couch and making her way to the front door. She lifted her hand up and gripped onto the door knob, before pulling her hand away. Fuck, why can’t I just be normal, and not get nervous all the time? She thought as she tried once more, and yanked the door open, stepping out into the cold. With a slam of the door she began making her way to the boys house across the street.

The girl stood out the fron of the boys house for a couple of minutes, too nervous to knock on the door. But she was getting cold, she had to either knock on the door or turn around and go back home, but she’d come a long way. It took a lot for her to get that far. Without another thought she knocked on the door, and waited.

A moment later the door flung open and she was greeted by Dan.

“Hey, you came!” He said, a little excitement in his voice.

“Y-yeah..” She stuttered, looking up at him.

“Get in here, it’s cold out there.” He said, gesturing for the girl to come inside.

Taya walked inside the house, her eyes wandering around, she could here the laughs from some boys, coming from the kitchen area, and she immediately felt more nervous than before.

“This way.” The boy said, with a smile, as he made his way down the hall of the house.

Taya followed Dan down the hall and into the kitchen. When they entered, all the boys stopped what they were doing and all their eyes landed on Dan and Taya.

“Guys, this is Taya, the girl Josh and I invited over.” Said Dan.

Immediately, a boy wearing a hat that said ‘antique’ on the top, got up from the table and walked over to Taya, holding his hand out towards the girl.

“I’m Max, lovely to meet you, Taya.” He said, smiling at the girl in front of him.

She took hold of his hand and shook it lightly, giving him a small smile. “Nice to meet you, Max.”

“That is Matt, Chris, and the handsome Josh, who’s house this is.” Dan added in.

Two of the boys, which she assumed were Matt and Chris both waved at the girl. She of course waved back and flashed them a smile. The other boy, which she assumed was Josh, leaned against a kitchen counter looking at the liquid in his cup. He hadn’t even bothered to look at the girl, except for when they walked in.

“Drink?” Asked, the boy who looked a little chinese, but she wasn’t sure if he was or not.

“Umm…Sure..” She said softly, as Dan pulled out a seat and gestured for her to sit down.

The girl flashed Dan a smile to thank him, as she sat down. Matt, placed the cup with some type of mystery liquid in in, in front of her. Look like plain orange juice, but she realised it wasn’t when she took a sip of it. Her face scrunched up, and all the boys, except Josh, laughed.

“It’s vodka, and orange juice, probably should have told you. Sorry, love.” Said Matt.

“It’s fine. Tastes kinda gross though.” She replied, taking another sip of the drink.

“You’ll get used to it, with another couple of sips.” Said Max, taking a sip of his own drink.

—-

By the time it was 2am, Chris, Max, and Matt had said their goodbyes and left to go home. Taya however, had a little too much to drink, and crashed out of Joshs’ couch.

When morning came the girl sat up slowly, her head killed, and her body felt all weird. Her eyes scanned the room, and she remembered last night, that she’d had some drinks, maybe too many drinks. She rubbed her temples for a minute, before getting up off the couch and slowly walking to the front door of the boys house. She didn’t want to wake anyone up. As her hand touched the door knob she heard a voice.

“Leaving without saying goodbye? Dan will be hurt.” Said the voice.

Taya bit down on her bottom lip before turning around, her eyes landing on the boys bare chest, before moving up to his face, but not looking into his eyes. That was appart of the anxiety, she couldn’t look people int he eyes.

“My head hurts, and I thought I’d go home.” She said, softly.

Josh stared at the girl, before walking down the hall way. “Come.” He said.

She followed him down into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table. Josh placed a glass of water and two tablets in front of the girl. Taya looked at the tablets, before, looking up at Josh.

“They’re just tablets to make your head feel a little better. Don’t worry, I am not trying to drug you, love.” He said, before walking over to the fridge, and looking inside.

Taya popped the tablets into her mouth without another thought, she’d take anything to make her head feel better. Taking a sip of the water, the tablets were down. Her eyes wandered over to the boy who had his head stuck in the fridge. Josh pulled out a container of butter.

“Toast?” He asked.

Taya nodded in response, before rubbing her temples like she’d done before.

“You were such an asshole last night.” She said automatically, before her eyes went wide and she placed her hand over her mouth when she realised what she’d said. She couldn’t believe she said that.

Josh looked over at the girl as he placed the bread into the toaster, and he laughed. “It’s alright, love. I am a natural asshole.” He spoke with a chuckle. “But please do explain as to how I was being an asshole?”

The girl took another sip of her water, before looking up at the boy, for the first time, she looked into his eyes. They were a gorgeous blue, she could get lost in them.

“You were just being all distant from everyone, and acting like a jerk. Dan asked you a question, and you completely snapped at him.” She said.

Josh nodded, leaning back against the kitchen counter, with his arms crossed across his chest.

“I broke up with my girlfriend of four years, just over a month ago, and it’s still a little hard. So, I am acting like a proper dick to everyone.” He said, before turning around and pulling the toast from the toaster as they popped up.

“Aww, that sucks.” She said. She wasn’t sure what she was suppose to say, she’d never had a boyfriend, never had her heart broken, never actually been kissed. “I’m not sure what I am suppose to say, when I have never had a boyfriend before.”

“You’ve never had a boyfriend?” Josh asked, placing the plate of toast in front of her, as he took a bite out of his piece, and sat across from her.

She shook her head in response.

“Wow!” He said, shocked. “How old are you?” He asked, with a mouth full of food.

“Eighteen.” She replied, taking a bite from her toast.