Boys Like You

Chapter 3

It had been a day since Taya had gotten drunk at Josh’s house. Her hangover lasted that whole day, even though she’d taken shit loads of pills. She never wanted to feel like that again. Her and Josh had spoken for a couple of hours, mostly laughing about what had happened that night. Like how Taya had given Dan a lap dance, or how she danced on the table and almost fell off. She was embarrassed about that, embarrassed about that whole night. It wasn’t normal for her to act like that, but she was under the influence so she had an excuse for her behaviour.

The girl hadn’t seen Josh today, or any of the other boys today, she’d spent the whole day on her couch, watching British television, and eating her weight in food. British television was so much different from Australian, it was weird, and not very interesting at all. But thank god she had disney channel, and music channels to keep her entertained. She flicked through to Disney channel and started watching Wizards of Waverly Place, when suddenly there was a knock at the door.

Taya looked down at herself, she wasn’t exactly dressed for guests. Her hair was a disaster, here shorts were mega short and her hoodie wasn’t the best. She placed the TV on mute and got up and opened the door.

“Hey..” Josh said, his eyes travelling up and down her body.

Taya felt slightly uncomfortable, like she was being judged for the way she was dressed, but she wasn’t expecting to see anyone today.

“What’s up?” She finally asked.

“Just wanted to see what you were doing.” His eyes travelled back up to her face, a smile plastered on his lips. “Looks like someone is having a lazy day, can I join?” He asked.

She looked at him before moving to the side to let him in.

“We get to watch what I want, got it?” It was more of a statement, than a question.

“What ever you want, love.” He replied, following the girl into the living room.

Taya slumped back into the same position she was in before she was interrupted by the boy, un-mutting the TV.

Josh sat down beside the girl, helping himself to the bag of maltesers from the table. He looked up at the TV and scoffed.

“Not fucking Selena Gomez, something else.” He said, with a mouth full of chocolate.

Taya turned her head and glared at the boy. “What did I say?”

Josh looked at her, and pulled the “puppy dog face’, “But come on.”

“No, what did I say?” She repeated, her voice going a little higher than normal, but she was just joking.

The boy sighed with defeat as he shoved more chocolate into his mouth. “Fine.” He said, acting like a small child who didn’t get their way.

Taya rolled her eyes, and laughed softly, before turning back to the TV.

It was nice that she could talk to Josh like they were bestfriends, she’d never felt like that about anyone before, especially someone she’d only know for one day. And because of the way she grew up, seeing her father, and then step father beat her mother everyday, she was now scared of boys. She knew they weren’t all like her father, and step father, but it was still there in the front of her head.

An hour later she suddenly switched the TV off, and turned her attention to the boy next to her, who had a sad look on his face when the TV got switched off.

“So, what was your girlfriends name?” She all of a sudden asked.

Josh looked at the girl, a sad look appearing on his face, which hurt Taya. She regretted bringing it up.

“Hanna..” He spoke softly, almost in a whisper.

She bit her lip. Did she still keep asking questions, or just drop it now?

“Why’d you guys break up?”

“I’m on tour all the time..and when I leave, she ends up cheating on me.” He said, pulling on a loose thread on his jeans. “She did it three times, and each time I took her back, but this time I finally said fuck it. Fuck her. I can do better.” He said, anger and sadness in his voice.

“Did you really love her?” She asked, watching him.

He nodded his head, pulling on the loose thread with anger.

“I loved her so fucking much. She was my first love. But the love started to fade away, after the first time she cheated, but I stayed, because I knew maybe I would feel like before it all happened.”

Taya felt sad for him, how could this girl have done something so horrible to him. Josh seemed like a lovely boy, anyone would be lucky to have him.

He looked up at her.

“Change of subject. How have you never had a boyfriend?” He asked, a smal smile on his lips.

Her cheeks began to go a slight red colour. She hated the attention on her.

“I’ve just never had one. When I hit high school I got anxiety, and it stopped me from going. Then I completely dropped out when I reached the 9th grade. All my friends stopped talking to me, I isolated myself. Therefore, I didn’t know how to talk to people, I knew no one, so I never had a boyfriend.” She shrugged, and looked up at him.

“That sucks proper dick.” He said,

“And the fact that I am scared of boys, kinda plays a part in me not ever having a boyfriend.” She added.

Josh cocked an eyebrow as he looked at the girl.

“Scared of boys? What?” He asked, confused.

The girl bit her lip and looked down at her lap, before speaking.

“I used to watch my father beat my mum, but I don’t remember that much. Then my mum got a new boyfriend, and he used to beat her all the time, and that I do remember. And now I am just scared of boys, and men.” She spoke

“I know not all boys are like my father and step dad, but i’m just scared, that one day I might meet someone who is exactly like them, and I get caught in the trap, and can’t get out.” She added, finally looking up at Josh, who had his eyes glued on her.

He shook his head, and pulled the girl into a tight hug.

“If you do get a boyfriend and he ever tries to hurt you, you just call me and the boys, and we’ll be there to help you.” He said, holding her tight against him.

“Thanks, Josh.” Was all she could say, she didn’t know what else to say. But she felt safe in his arms.

“Anytime, love.”