Status: We'll see

Devil in the Details

004

Ryan doesn't play in the spotlight anymore.

He's in line with the drums, the drums that Brendon brought forward because 'Spencer needs the spotlight, too." Sometimes Ryan backs further, behind the drums, away from the prying eyes of the crowd. Brendon's fans. Sarah. He doesn't think anyone notices until he's dragged into an interview with Brendon.

"So, Ryan, Ryan Ross. Why are you always cooped at the back? What happened to yours and Brendon's collabs?" The interviewer is blonde and enthusiastic and Ryan feels heavy. Brendon tenses next to him but Ryan beats him to it.

"I like what Brendon has now, his voice is a smoother unaccompanied. Honestly I don't have the voice." He chuckles warily, making the interviewer laugh nervously with him "I want the audience to focus on Brendon. He has the real charisma; I guess I've never been good with interacting with the crowd."

The interviewer looks down at his questions sheet.

***

It's two hours later and Ryan's chain smoking nervously, his free hand fiddling unconsciously with his lighter. He feels ill at ease with the interview, especially at the way Brendon froze up after that one question directed at him. He feel like he said too much, showed too much admiration.

It isn't the first time.

Brendon emerges from the building, pushing his hands into his jacket as he goes. Ryan doesn't catch his eyes and when Brendon says I like it when you sing , Ryan pretends not to hear.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

Stop me right away.