Fires That Burn

The walk

My name is Raven Sky. I am 16 years old. I live with my parents in a small town in West Virginia, I will, however, not divulge the name of the town. The year is 2004.

My dad works at a small refinery on the edge of town, so he's always away at work. My mom works at the local grocery store. My sister is a few younger than, and so very naive.

We live in a sort of cliche neighborhood. Neighbors all around. One neighbor in particular scares me.........

My name is Raven Sky and this is the story of how I died.

****************************************************************************************************

The day was cold. It was in the middle of August and it was freezing. Normally it was exceptionally hot, but this year a freak storm had occurred and now it was so cold people had to wear at least three sets of clothes.

I was walking from school to home as was usual; the cold hardly getting to me, for I had gotten used to the cold. The wind blew oak and maple leaves across the sidewalk, making a scratching sound on the uneven cement. I stopped and picked a leaf up and examined it. It was crumbling in my delicate hand. I smiled in spite of myself and continued my walk home.

The high school was as big as others that I had seen, but it was alright. The building was slightly smaller than a mansion, but big enough to house 400 students. The school was surrounded by trees of all kind: Pine, oak, maple, spruce, fig, and so many more.

The walk from school to my house was only 4 blocks, so it never took me very long to get there. Our house wasn't the biggest in the world, but it was enough to suite me.It was a two story house with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. One bathroom on the top floor, one located on the ground floor. I shared the top floor with my sister, my parent's bedroom was located downstairs as was the guest bedroom.

A chill wind blew from the east, sending shivers down my spine. It was getting colder out and I wasn't even half way home. I had two and a half more blocks to walk and the chilling wind was making it impossible not to want to stop at the local coffee shop. But I wouldn't do that. My parents would be worried.

Even though my dad worked at the refinery, he was always home when I got there and stayed until after I fell asleep, then he'd leave for work and come back the next morning after Tiffany and I had gone to school and sleep. That was his everyday routine. But something about today felt different. Maybe it was how cold it was or maybe it was something else.

Whatever it was, it gave me a weird feeling and all I wanted to do was go home, curl up with a good book, and drink hot cocoa.

I picked up my pace as I continued on my way home, suddenly welcoming the thought of my mom screaming at me for failing my exam. Something just didn't feel right.

The breeze picked up and leaves of all kind tumbled and rolled on the sidewalk. A car sped down the nearly deserted intersection. I stopped walking and stared after the car. It's not like I recognized the people in the car, but I just didn't feel right and I didn't know what was wrong.

I started walking again and had soon turned the corner of my street. My street wasn't to bad looking. There were flower beds and small hedges and birdbaths in nearly every yard. But like every neighborhood, there were flaws.

My house was the third on the right. It was one that couldn't be missed for it was the only one in the neighborhood with a bright green door. I slowed my pace, knowing I was just five minutes from my parents. My dad was home today for the first time in three weeks. Sometimes his shifts were long and sometimes he got a break. Today and tomorrow he had a break.

I stopped on the sidewalk and looked up at the sky. Gray clouds had settled over our little town. A snowstorm was brewing and I couldn't wait for it. Snow always made me happy. Daddy took off work just for Tiff and me, on days like those.

I looked over at our house and smiled. Daddy's car was in the driveway and he was leaning up against the driver's side door. I ran the rest of the way to him and wrapped my arms around him in a giant hug.

"Miss me, Raves?" He asked, laughing lovingly into my mouse brown hair that matched his.

"You bet I did, Daddy!" I exclaimed. I stepped back from him and he took me in. I wasn't much to look at. Shoulder length mouse brown hair, light green eyes, a not so straight nose, slightly thin lips, and I was pretty short for a 16 year old.

"Did you grow?" He gasped, standing on the balls of his feet and looking over my head. I laughed and slapped his chest.

"No. I did not grow. You know I'm short. Don't mock me." He smiled and pulled me into his warm embrace again. I sighed and grasped him around the neck. He was truly the best father in the whole world.

"I love you, Daddy." I muffled into his parka.

"I love you too, Raves." He smiled down at me and ruffled my hair. I smiled once more and we walked into the house, his arm around my neck.
♠ ♠ ♠
So first chapter. Tell me how you think it is.