Fires That Burn

School

The next morning started out normally. My alarm clock woke me up at 6:45 on the dot. I grumbled about getting up, but did anyway. Tiffany hogged the bathroom for twenty five minutes, nearly making me pee all over myself. Mom yelled at Tiff and I for missing breakfast. And finally I walked the four blocks to school.

The day was colder than the day before, meaning I was actually wearing my parka. Unlike the day before, the sun wasn't shining nearly as bright as it should have been at that time of morning. It seemed eerie, but at the same time it was perfect. I didn't feel the creepy vibes that I had felt the day before, so I felt a little safer.

The cold wind blew straight in my face as I started the ten minute walk to school. And continued doing so until I had gotten in the parking lot. There it was still cold, but at least I had cars shielding me from it's icy blast.

By time I had gotten into the building, the first bell was ringing. I raced to my locker and rummaged through it before my friend Sam came up to me and slammed her hand down on cold metal, producing a hollow metallic sound. I rolled my eyes and fished for my Geometry book. Ms. Dobbs would kill me if I were late for her class again, so I gently pushed her out of the way and started walking down the crowded hallway to room 309.

"So what, you're not going to talk to me?" Sam asked with a hint of rage in her voice. She kept it controlled, most of the time. But sometimes she would allow it to slip and those were the times were we fought and it wasn't verbally. I wasn't really known for fighting, but when Sam got on my bad side, we had it out and there wasn't anything stopping me.

"It's not that, Sam. I can't be late for Ms. Dobbs' class again or she'll call my parents and ask for a conference with them. You know I love talking to you." I replied, swiftly cutting through all the people in the densely crowded hallway.

I slowed down so Sam could catch up with me. She was one of the prettiest girls in the school, or at least I thought so. She was one of those unique people. Someone that would be noticed. She dyed her hair every three weeks. This week she had it violet with electric blue highlights. She was short, like me, but unlike me she was growing.

I stopped at the door of room 309 and gave Sam a hug. She gave me a look of confusion, because we never hug, ever.

"What was that for?" She asked the look still on her face. She held her notebook close to her chest and smiled.

"Your my best friend, Sam. I love you like a sister." I replied and then walked into my class.

I didn't know what would happen that day, nor did I know the outcome of what I told her. But I felt something, not creepy, just a feeling in my gut that something was going to happen. And that feeling came out every time I talked to someone that day. So all during class and throughout the school day, I gave out answers and I talked to people. Something I really wasn't accustomed to. I'm more of a shy and reserved ty pe, so speaking out in class was new to me. But that feeling like something was going to happen got worse as the day progressed.

It was the last class of the day, and I was having trouble staying focused on the teacher. Brett, Sam's boyfriend, kept sending me a note the whole class, so I kept getting distracted. But as the final bell of the day rang, I felt exuberant. Daddy was going to be home again today, he told me himself that morning, and I was super excited for it.

I got my stuff together and walked to the door, which was swarmed by everyone else in the room. Sam was waiting for me outside the door, so I casually walked up to her and, with my backpack slung over one shoulder, gave her a hug. I stepped back after a second and she just stared at me with a blamk expression on her face.

"I love you, Sam. Don't ever forget that." I told her and with that said, I walked out of the building for the last time.

I didn't know that on my way home that day, I would stop to smell the roses that my neighbor grew every winter. Nor did I know that I would accept his offer to go into his home to get warm. It had gotten excessively colder as the day had passed and was about to snow. And I didn't know how bad he would hurt me.