In Between

Chapter 2

Danni held her hand like a visor as she looked up at the clear blue sky. Perfect beach day she thought. Amy was standing next to the life guard chair twirling her strawberry blond hair around her finger. She was always such a flirt, always got the guys. Danni watched Amy smoothly take the life guards sunglasses and put them on herself. He laughed and tried to snatch them back but she was to quick for him. Danni looked away slightly disgusted by the playfulness which her friend executed so effortlessly.
"Heads up!" someone yelled. Danni looked to her right and saw a football coming right for her head. She instinctively put her hands up and blocked the football from hitting her in the face. She shook her hands to get rid of the light sting that she now felt from the hard football colliding with her soft hands.
"I'm so sorry about that" Danni looked up to see a pair of the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. She noted the shaggy sandy blonde hair and the slightly tanned skin of this tall handsome stranger standing next to her. He crouched down to be on her level and smiled at her.
"Come on man get the ball!" one of his friends shouted, almost annoyed. He reached for the ball and threw it back.
"I'll be over in a minute" he called back before turning his attention back on Danni. His smile was infectious she couldn't help but return the expression.
"John" he said extending his hand to her.
"Danni" she said taking his hand. She felt a shiver run through her the minute their hands touched. She was hoping he couldn't tell. Danni and John just stared at each other for a minute, his baby blues staring into her vibrant hazel eyes.

"Who's this?" Amy asked running over to them. Her wavy hair bouncing behind her. Danni pulled her hand away when she realized that she was still holding Johns hand.
"This is John" Danni said sitting up a bit straighter. John stood up to greet Amy.
"Amy" she said giving a little wave. Danni felt her heart drop when she saw how Amy looked at John. Amy always got her man, and the way she looked at him, it was over.
"I was just apologizing for almost breaking your friends nose" John laughed looking back at Danni. His eyes sparkled and Danni could feel her heart aching. There was a moment of silence as John studied her for a minute. Amy broke the silence when she cleared her throat.
"I don't know if you know this but there's a party tonight at my house. You should come" she said cocking her head to the side and smiling. She batted those long eyelashes of hers and Danni couldn't take it anymore.
"Hey Amy, I'm gonna go home and take a nap" Danni blurted out as she jumped up and brushed sand off of herself.
"Is everything ok?" Amy asked reaching out to her friend.
"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired" Dani said grabbing her bag and walking past the two. She hurried off down the beach and disappeared into the crowd.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment:subscribe