Status: Revising:)

What's a Little Vertigo

Ch.13

The sun rested directly overhead, brightening the orange, yellow, and red leaves as they fluttered to the ground, covering the browning grass and wind chilled cement. The windy November air nipped at my nose and cheeks, reminding me slightly of Vancouver.
I missed Vancouver. I missed my friends and family. Hell, I missed being able to curl up into my own bed at night. But instead of being in the place I felt most comfortable, I was here in Chicago.
I was now walking up the familiar street towards the apartment building I had been living in for the past three months. I had yet to call this place my home. Everything was so different in Chicago. The people were rude and always seemed to be in a hurry, while the streets were filthy and unforgiving. My home wasn't here…my home was 2000 miles away in a quiet little suburb outside of Vancouver.
I turned my head up towards the sky, allowing the hoards of rushing people to dodge me. By now, my roommates would be worried. After a heated argument with one of the cocky boys whom lived down the hall, Ricky, I had left for a nearby park, leaving both my bag and cellphone behind.
Slowly I walked into the large brick building that housed my apartment complex, and bounded up a flight of stairs, playing back images of the earlier fight.
With a roll of my eyes, I pushed open a large wooden door and made my way down a long hallway. Ricky was a player from the word go. He was tall, muscular, and had the bone structure of a male model. His perfect smile, dark brown hair, and deep green-brown eyes could leave just about any girl, including myself, swooning. However, I wasn't going to let him have the satisfaction of playing me like a deck of cards…and so, I called him out.
Whatever, he deserved is anyways.
Ricky and his little sister, Sage, who just so happened to be my roommate, were from a small town in northern Virginia. Supposedly their father was the only preacher for miles…hard to believe knowing Ricky's past with girls. Sage reflected her upbringing in a much stronger way. Unlike her brother, she was very giving and found it repulsive to be hanging herself off of random guys that passed her by. The only similarities I saw between the two were their extreme good looks.
Shaking my head, I silently pulled a gold key from my pocket and opened the large door that led into the apartment, taking note of four people sitting on beanbag chairs and couches scattered throughout the room.
"Where have you been?" my other roommate, Jenna, called out. Jenna was the over-eccentric drama queen of our group. She had curly black hair that rested on her shoulders, and dark brown eyes. She was one of those firs who would wear pink on any given day.
"Walking," I sighed, before plopping on a nearby couch beside a boy with dirty blonde hair. He smiled warmly when I pulled my feet onto the upholstery of the couch.
"I was gettin' worried there, Megan." the boy said, pulling at the sleeve of his shirt. Tyler, was a country boy from Tennessee. He was caring, sweet, and a hard worker. I remembered him sharing stories of his summers spent in the tobacco fields with his father. He was probably the closest thing to a friend I had here in Chicago.
"Sorry, Ty," I told him with a ruffle of his wavy blonde locks. "I just needed to clear my head." Tyler nodded his head understandingly why shooting a harsh glare at Ricky who sat across the room beside Sage.
"Aren't y'all gonna apologize?" Tyler asked pointedly, wrap pining his calloused hands around my feet in attempt to warm them. "I don't want any high school drama. Y'all are 18 and 20. I think you can handle this like adults." I turned my head towards Ricky. His face seemed to be made of stone…obviously I had hurt his ego.
"Apologize for what?" The brown haired boy shot in my direction. "She's the one who should be apologizing." I scoffed and gently pulled my feet away from Tyler, who frowned in a disapproving way. Ignoring the boy, I pulled myself onto my feet and walked into my nearby bedroom, making a point to slam the door behind me.
"Whatever, Ricky." I told myself, throwing my weight onto the bed positioned closest to the wall. Within seconds, I heard a knocking at my door. "What?" I yelled into the mattress, granting access to the person who stood at the door.
"Megan?" a deep voice called from the threshold. Tyler.
"What do you want, Ty?" I questioned, rolling over onto my back, watching as he made his way across the room. His lean muscles showed through his ratty t-shirt.
"Why do you have to antagonize him?" the boy questioned, shoving his hands into the pockets of his mud-stained jeans.
"I don't mean to," I explained, brushing my hands through the roots of my hair. "I've just been really homesick lately…I guess everything is starting to get to me." Tyler frowned and sat on the bed beside me, being careful not to crush my legs under his weight.
"I understand the feeling of being homesick." He told me, tracing a line into the fabric of my bedspread. "I haven't really embraced this whole city-living thing…and it never really does go away. Shoot, I've been here for two years and I still miss my daddy's farm." I nodded, letting the boy continue. "But you don't see me goin' around makin' people look like fools…even if they deserve it." He said with a wink. "Be nice to Ricky. I know he comes off as an idiot, but he ain't all too bad." I giggled at the boy's 'country twang'. Tyler was one of the nicest guy's I had ever met. He was so sincere and honest.
"Thanks, Ty. I'll be sure to keep that in mind." The lean boy smiled, the muscles in his arms flexing as he pushed himself up into a standing position.
"Not a problem," he exclaimed, making his way out of the room "And remember…if you really don't like it here, there is no shame in going to school closer to home." He told me from over his shoulder, silently shutting the bedroom door behind him. I enjoyed having Tyler around. He always knew the right things to say, and was one of the few people who could keep Ricky in check.
With a groan I turned back on my stomach and shut my eyes, letting the silence of the room envelope me. I could feel my phone vibrate in my nearby bag, but I chose to ignore it and replay Tyler's words in my head.
He was right. Maybe I could transfer to a school in Vancouver…if I could convince my parents that is.
The phone vibrated once again, pulling me from my reverie.
"Dammit," I cursed, squeezing my hand into the small open space in my bag, before pulling my phone from one of the pockets within.
"What?" I yelled into the speaker, not bothering to check the name that scrolled across the screen.
"Uhhh…it's Josh?" a very confused man spoke from the other end. "If you're busy…I can call you back or something?"
Smiling widely, I shook my head, nearly forgetting that he couldn't see any of my movements.
"No, I'm not busy. I just thought you were someone else." I lied, trying to keep Josh on the line.
"Okay, killer." Josh replied with a chuckle. "How's life in Chicago."
"Not the best," I told him, suddenly being tossed back into my dark mood. "Everything is so different."
"What'd you expect, Megs?" the boy questioned with a huff. "Chicago is a world away from Vancouver."
"I know that now Josh…I just miss Vancouver. I've been away from home for long enough. The people are snotty, and the streets are scary…I mean, I almost got his by a car yesterday."
"You can't come home yet, Megan. Chicago is the best place to be when it comes to your education. You can't leave now."
"But I'm miserable here, Josh. I've barely made any friends."
The boy sighed into the other end of the phone. "Look Megan. You're just homesick right now. Give it a few more weeks. Soon you won't ever want to come back to Vancouver…and besides, you need to be in school. College is giving you an advantage in life that a lot of people will never have…including me. Don't quit like I did, Megan."
"But…"
"End of discussion, Megan…my vote vetoes yours." I slowly got off of my bed and walked towards a nearby window, leaning my head up against the cool glass. Large groups of people walked on the dirty sidewalk below, some carrying bags from nearby stores, while others simply were bundled up in large amount of unneeded winter clothing.
"I miss you, Josh." I murmured, sliding my hand down the glass of the window, my fingers leaving streaks.
"I miss you too, Megs." He said with a sigh. "But you'll be visiting in another month, right?" I glanced over my shoulder, at a calendar that clung to a nearby wall beside Sage's bed. It was still the beginning of November. The end of the semester wouldn't be for another month…a month too long.
"Yeah. I think so." I responded, turning my attention back to the street below.
"Exactly. When you come home, we can hangout a lll the time. I have some new songs I wan you to hear…and we're gonna be shooting a video for 'Say Anything.' You aren't missing anything, Megs. I promise." His words did little to soothe me…however, I wasn't in any mood to argue with the boy.
"Okay, Josh. I believe you."
"Good." He stated with a pause. From the tone in his voice, I could clearly tell he held a triumphant smile on his face…a smile I would give anything in the world to see. "Look, Megs. I have to go, okay? I promised Ange I would go get my suit altered for her wedding next week. I'll text you when I get the chance, alright?" I sighed an dropped my shoulders, but reluctantly agreed.
"Okay Josh. I miss you. Have fun."
"I miss you too, Megs. Study hard." And with that, he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated the story in awhile. I got caught up with work and school....and I may have gotten writers block. Anyways, I hope y'all like this chapter. It wasn't my favorite, but I needed to add some filler for future chapters. *Hint* I recommend paying attention to Tyler and Sage in upcoming chapters. They'll be important to the storyline.
If anyone is interested in seeing how I pictured the new (or older) characters, check out the Characters page.
Thanks to everyone who is reading and commenting. It means the world to me!