Status: Revising:)

What's a Little Vertigo

Ch.4

Movement from beside my body pulled me from a deep sleep that I had unknowingly and unwillingly entered. I could feel a muscular arm loosely wrapped around my waist, and could hear the t.v. playing in the background. With a yawn, I stretched my arms above my head and allowed my eyes to slowly flutter open.; they felt swollen and raw.
Taking in my surroundings as best as I could through my blurry vision, I noticed Josh sleeping soundly. His light brown hair was swept across his forehead and light snores were coming from his open mouth.
I wish I could just let him sleep. I had learned from Ian, that Josh had been suffering from insomnia ever since he was young, and it had only gotten progressively worse after his heroin addiction. However, he needed to wake up. I couldn't be sure of the time, but Josh's family could arrive soon, and I wanted to avoid any unnecessary embarrassment. If anyone ventured down here while Josh was still sleeping, awkwardness would ensue.
"Josh, wake up," I said giving him a shake.
"Igghhhhhlllmmmm," he groaned into the pillow, tightening his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to his body.
Using both hands, I pushed on his chest. "Seriously Josh, your sisters will be here soon."
"I don't wanna deal with that shit right now." he grumbled in a childlike manner.
"Please Josh, do it for me. I really don't need to feel awkward around your family." Josh pouted but complied, opening his tired blue eyes.
"You're going to be awkward regardless Megs. It's a Webb family trait."
"Thanks Josh. You sure know how to make a girl feel better."
"You know i'm not very good around girls." he said with a chuckle. "But on a serious note, are you feeling any better? You had me freaking out earlier."
I thought about this for awhile. I wanted to tell Josh the truth, instead of spitting out the first thing that popped into my head. He deserved that at the very least. He had been so sweet, patient, gentle, and understanding. Besides, Josh had my number, he already knew my game. He would be able to see straight through any bullshit answer I tossed his way.
"Yes, I feel better right now. But, I'll keep you updated." At this point, Josh's presence alone was enough to make me feel happy and more like myself. But what would happen when I returned to school on Monday?
"Good, i'm going to hold you to that," he had a warm smile on his face that made hi eyes sparkle.
"I wouldn't expect any less Mr. Ramsay." I said, patting the arm that was still draped around my waist. "By the way, I don't think you are bad around girls." I playfully flicked his cheek with my index finger. "You just have a weird sense of humor."
"Was that an insult?" he questioned with a small smirk.
"No, not at all. I like your sense of humor. Though, I grew up around my brother's friends, so I have a guy's sense of humor. But some girls might not understand your jokes. You just have to aim for girls who get your humor." He chuckled and closed his eyes, before sighing deeply.
"Easier said than done." He slowly unwrapped his arm from around my waist and sat up with a groan. "Here's your glasses. I took them off when you fell asleep." I smiled appreciatively and took the glasses from his hand, placing them on my face.
Luckily I had been lazy this morning and did not put my contacts in.
"I can see! " I exclaimed throwing a fist into the air. "It's a miracle!"
Josh laughed loudly and stood up, shuffling across the room towards the stairs. "You and your brother are the same person. You know that? Socially awkward and strange as hell."
"Yeah, but i'm better looking."
"I'm not going to deny that." He ran a hand through his hair and leaned against the wall beside the stairs. I flashed him a triumphant smile.
"And you said I raised your self esteem." Josh grinned while folding his arms across his chest.
"You know, I've been standing here, waiting for you to follow me. Obviously you don't take hints very well." I looked at him and laughed.
"I'm not a very observant person. Sue me." I said, jumping to me feet and skipping over to him. "I don't look like a complete train wreck, do I?" The boy gave me a look that seemed to question my sanity.
"No, you look beautiful. You always do." I smiled and hooked my arm around his, letting him pull me up the stairs.
"Awwwh…see you're good with girls," I teased as he led me into the hallway.
"False statement. I'm just comfortable around you. I also happen to know what makes you tick." I noticed a small smile playing his lips.
I scowled in mock anger, before ramming my side into his, only causing him to laugh. "Is that really all you've got, little girl?" He mocked. "That was weak."
I scoffed jokingly. "You're a dick."
Josh chucked to himself and unhooked my arm from his own, turning to face me. A devious look was plastered on his face.
"Josh, what are you doing?" He took a step towards me as I slowly backed up. "Josh…seriously, i'm not messing around. What are you planning?" He continued backing me up until I hit the wall. "Josh…this isn't a joke. What are y-"
He threw a lanky arm around my torso and lifted me off the ground, tossing me over his shoulder.
"Josh!" I yelled, hitting his lower back with my fist.
"Violence is never the answer Miss Webb." he said. I could hear the humor in his voice.
"Josh! Put me down!" Joining in on his laughing, I continued to swing at his back.
"Not until you tell me how amazing I am." the boy explained as he started making his way to where I believed the living room was.
"Over my dead body." I stated, wiggling my body around. " Now stop being a little bitch, and let me down you jerk."
"I know this may be surprising, but that's not helping your situation baby girl." I glanced around, noticing somewhat familiar furniture surrounding us.
"Joshua! I swear to god, I will kick your ass if you don't put me down!"
"You think you can kick my ass?" he chuckled, twirling around. "You can't even manage to get down. How exactly are you planning on kicking my ass?"
"Don't question me, Ramsay. I have my ways" He twirled again. I could feel blood rushing into my head, building pressure.
"Yes, but you also have the stealth of an elephant and the reflexes of a flat basketball. Face it baby girl, you aren't going to win this one." He had me there.
"I'll send Matt on your ass." Josh chuckled again, tightening his grip.
"Ooooohh, the brother card, nice one…to bad i'm not afraid of your little game, huh?"
"Come on Josh… all of my blood is rushing into my head, please put me down."
"I will be more than happy to put you down…one you tell me how amazing I am. Until then, no dice." I groaned and rolled my eyes.
"Fine. Joshua Ramsay, you are the most amazing man on the face of the planet."
"And…"
"You are a musical genius."
"And…"
"You're pushing it sir…"
"And…"
"You have a personality that shines like a starry night."
"And…"
"AND you can suck my nonexistent dick. Now put me down."
"I'll take it." he said enthusiastically; and then I was falling. I let out a loud shriek as I landed on a couch. Josh sat beside my tangled legs, laughing.
"Are we interrupting?" a female asked from across the room. I lifted my head and noticed a group standing near the door. Quickly sitting up, I could feel heat rise up into my cheeks.
"Oh, hey Sara. I didn't hear anyone come in." Josh said with a nervous laugh.
The girl, Sara had a huge smile on her face, actually the majority of the group happened to be smiling.
"Mom never told us you got a girlfriend," the woman standing by Sara said. "She's really pretty." I peered over to Josh, his cheeks had turned a bright red color, probably a similar color to my own.
"Sh…she's not my girlfriend," he stuttered. I could hear an underlying tone in his voice. Something I didn't quite understand. I remembered meeting his mom earlier, he'd had the same reaction. "This is Megan. Matt's sister."
The woman's face dropped a bit, but she continued to grin as she approached the couch and dropped beside me.
"Sorry about that, I just made this more uncomfortable that it had to be. Josh never really brings girls around, so I just assumed. I'm Ange by the way."
"It's nice to meet you," I said with a small smile, now noticing how I had subconsciously moved closer to Josh. So much for not having an awkward introduction.

"Well, that wasn't a complete disaster," Josh stated as we walked out to his car. I grinned, remembering the even that was dinner at the Ramsay household. For the majority of the evening, Sara's boyfriend, James had been under the spotlight. Josh's mom and dad, Miles, were throwing questions at him from all directions, barely giving the poor guy any time to answer. It was rather amusing, especially with Josh whispering a play by play, as to what was going through his father's head, into my ear. Apparently, Miles was not very impressed with James. Only when everyone noticed Josh and I giggling like school girls, did they change the subject.
Overall, I had a good time. His family was much closer than my own. At my house, it was usually just Matt and myself, because my parents traveled frequently.
"No, it wasn't. I like your family, they're all really nice." Josh unlocked his car doors and climbed into the drivers side, waiting for me to join him before starting the engine.
"They all seemed to like you too."
"What can I say? I'm just a likable person." I joked, using my fists to rub my eyes.
"Whatever helps you sleep at night, sweetheart." Josh responded with a chuckle as he turned onto my street. I shook my head and giggled. Josh pulled the car into my driveway and cut the engine, turning slightly to face me. His blue eyes were warm, making butterflies form in the pit of my stomach and my cheeks burn.
"Uhhhh…," I stuttered, swallowing the newly formed nerves.
"We'll have to do this again sometime…bust you out of school. I mean…if you want to." He bit his lower lip and shot me a hopeful look. I smiled and nodded my head in response.
"Yeah, I'd like that." I told him, melting when he grinned in triumph.
"Really?"
"Mmhmmm…but maybe next time, we can avoid mental breakdowns. They make things interesting, but I think I would rather go to the mall, or actually have a movie marathon"
"Deal. No mental breakdowns." I smiled, swinging the car door open and unbuckling the seatbelt.
"Bye Josh. Thanks for everything, I really appreciate it." I leaned over and wrapped him in a hug; he smelled of faintly of cigarette smoke, axe, and leather. I was very comforting and warm. It fit Josh perfectly. "Text me or something," I said, releasing the brown haired boy, and removing myself from the car.
I was about halfway to my front door when he rolled down the window and called my name. Stopping, I turned back questioningly.
"Call me if you need anything…if you need to bitch about someone or something, if you need someone to kick some douche-bag ass, anything. Okay?" His entire face held concern and sincerity, my heart began beating faster.
"Alright Josh, I will. Promise." He smiled widely and waved, waiting for me to enter my house before backing out of the driveway and speeding back towards his house.
That boy is something else…and I would't have it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright...I feel horrible that I haven't updated sooner. It took me forever to find time to write this. I had 3 final projects due on one day. Ugh. It was terrible. But on the bright side, i'm out of school in 3 days. So updates should come more frequently.
Thank You to everyone who is subscribing and commenting! It means a lot.
Let me know what you think :)