Status: Revising:)

What's a Little Vertigo

Ch.7

Streaks of water gently ran down my bedroom window as rain pattered on the roof above. The past few days had been unseasonably hot, and the added humidity was not helping.
I rested my head on the back of my computer chair and closed my eyes, rotating in a counter-clockwise motion. My original plan was to finish the homework I had been assigned, but honestly it was a lost cause, and I really couldn't care less. This was my last week of high school and I had been accepted to all but one of the colleges I'd applied to. I am still awaiting one acceptance letter, and if I got that letter, I would know exactly where I would be attending school.
Most of the schools I had applied to were just fillers to keep my parents happy. They weren't all to enthusiastic when they learned that I planned on majoring in Music Management and Production. My Mom thought I would be more suited to a job in the medical field while my Dad believed I should pursue a more "feminine" career choice. Lets just say that conversation did not end well. There was plenty of crying, yelling, and swearing from both parties; it was not a pretty sight.So when I sent out my applications, I secretly sent one to my dream school. Not even Matt knew I had applied.
Placing my feet on the ground to keep my chair from moving, I opened my eyes and nearly jumped out of my skin.
"Jesus Christ!" I shrieked, leaping onto my feet. Sitting on my bed and laughing hysterically was Josh. His hair was damp and his t-shirt was covered in raindrop marks. "Way to give me a heart-attack! I think I saw my life flash before my eyes!"
"I wish you could've seen your face." Josh said between laughs. "That was fucking priceless." I walked over to the boy and gave him a smack on the back of his head. "Owww!" he yelped, rubbing the spot I had hit. "Why'd you do that?"
"Because you're an ass, that's why." I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned, trying to play the "guilt-card".
"Awwh. Come on baby girl. Don't be mad. I was just messing around." Josh reached out and wrapped a large hand around my wrist, pulling me until I was on his lap. "I'm sorry. I didn't really think I would scare you like that." He placed a light kiss above my ear and rested his chin on my shoulder. I turned my head and looked at the boy; he was flashing me his best puppy eyes and had a childlike pout plastered on his face. I melted instantly and the small amount of anger I felt towards him was gone.
"Goddammit, why do you have to be so freaking adorable." Josh grinned and reached around my body, clasping his hands together when they met.
"Does this mean I'm forgiven?"
"You're forgiven. Just don't do it again you jerk." Josh laughed tightened his grip on my body. "How the hell did you even get into my house? Matt went out with Ian, and no-one else is home."
"I used my resources." The boy answered simply, leaning his head against my own.
"Seriously? Did you break a window or something?"
"No, I did not break a window. I called Matt and told him that I needed to ask you something. He told me that his bedroom window was unlocked, and to climb through it if you didn't answer the door." I raised my eyebrows in confusion and turned around to face the boy.
"First of all. I'm surprised that you didn't manage to kill yourself climbing in through the window. I hate to break it to you sweetheart, but you aren't exactly the most graceful guy around." Josh flashed me a dirty look, but laughed anyway. " Secondly, why would you risk maiming yourself? I have a cellphone. You could have just called, I would have answered."
"Yeah, but I figured you may feel obligated to give me the answer I was looking for, if I made this quest physically challenging." I laughed and kissed the tip of his nose.
"You are such a dork."
"I take pride in that." I rolled my eyes and giggled.
"What's your question?"
"Will you come over to my place for dinner tonight?" I tilted my head and gave him a confused look. Why would he come all they way over here to ask that?
"I've been to your house for dinner before, Josh. You really thought I would say no?"
"This is the first time you are going over to my house as my girlfriend. I don't want you getting overwhelmed. You saw how my family basically threw Sara's boyfriend under the bus; and they did the exact same thing to Ange's fiance, who you'll meet if you do decide to come over." I smiled and patted his forearm.
"I love how you are trying to keep me from feeling uncomfortable, but I don't want to avoid your family."
"So, I should tell my Mom you are coming over?"
"Why would I miss an opportunity to have dinner with the Ramsay clan?" I said with a bright smile, moving off of Josh's lap as he unclasped his hands and stood. The brown haired boy smirked, before leaning down and planting a kiss on my lips.
"I hope you know what you're getting yourself into baby girl."

"Nervous?"
"No. Why? Should I be?"
Josh shrugged his shoulders and sighed. "I wouldn't really be able to tell you. I have very little experience in this area." I frowned and held my hand out to the boy, waiting for him to mesh our fingers together before continuing up the walkway that led to his house.
"I've already met your parents Josh. I think things might be different than when your sisters' brought home their boyfriends." Josh flashed me a hopeful smile as he opened the front door to his house and shook the rainwater from his hair.
"Guys, I'm home," Josh announced, leading me towards the living room. Sara and James were sitting beside Ange and a man I assumed was the fiance Josh had mentioned earlier. Miles and Corlynn both sat on separate chairs on either side of the couch. As soon as the room caught sight of me standing beside Josh, everyone, except for the fiance, smiled widely.
"Hello Megan, it's nice to see you again." Corlynn said brightly. I returned the smile and gave a quick wave. Josh led me over to the empty chair that was placed near the center of the room.
"Here, sit down." the boy told me with a smirk. I complied, sitting against the armrest to make room for him, but he shook his head and took a seat on the floor in front of me.
"Oh." Josh said suddenly. "That's Ben, Ange's fiance." Ben nodded at the sound of his name.
"Yeah, you told me about him," I responded. "Hi, I'm Megan." Ben nodded his head again, seemingly uninterested. Something was off about him, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
"So, Megan," Miles began. "How have you been lately? I haven't seen you around much."
"Yeah," Sara said eagerly. "Ever since we learned about you and Josh, everyone has been dying for you to come back over." Josh leaned back against my legs and rested his head on my knee.
"I've been really busy with school during the past month, but this is my last week, so hopefully you'll see me around more often."
"Good. We enjoy having you around," Corlynn stated, as she stood up and made her way towards the kitchen. "Well, you two got here just in time. Dinner should be ready in a couple of minutes. I just need to set the table." I frowned when I noticed that no-one else left the room to help Corlynn with dinner, they just continued on with their conversations. Shifting so that Josh moved off of my legs, I stood and followed the same path that Corlynn had taken a few moments earlier.
"Where are you going Megs?" Josh asked from across the room, looking at me slightly confused.
"Your mom cooked the whole meal. She shouldn't have to set the table by herself. I don't mind helping." Miles smiled and nodded his head approvingly while Josh smiled brightly. I entered the kitchen and found Corlynn briskly moving around, pulling food from the oven and off of the stove.
"Need any help?" I questioned, leaning up against the counter. Corlynn looked up shocked, but composed herself and smiled.
"Oh, you don't have to do that." she said, taking plates from one of the cupboards. I approached her and took the dishes from her hands.
"I don't mind. I would feel bad if I didn't help." I told her honestly, walking into the dining room and setting the plates around the table; she came into the room carrying silverware.
"Josh really likes you," the older woman stated, placing down the different eating utensils. "I hope he makes you happy, because you definitely make him happy. Happier than I've seen him in a long time. When you're with him, I see the old Josh. The Josh from before the heroin, from before the eating disorders and depression," she paused briefly to collect herself. "I'm sorry, this must be uncomfortable for you." I shook my head and smiled, following her back into the kitchen and retrieving glasses from the cabinet, while she grabbed the food.
"He makes me happy. He's helped me through so much. I honestly don't know where I would be without him." Corlynn smiled softly and folded her hands. This woman had been through so much within the past five years, and yet, she still seemed so strong.
"Dinner time." The woman exclaimed, exiting the room.

"What's up with that Ben guy?" I questioned, as I led Josh through the front door of my house. I noticed Matt lounging on the couch, a video game controller in his hand.
"He's kind of shy. I thought he was a little sketchy at first too, but he's actually really cool." Josh explained, sitting on the end of the couch near Matt's feet and pulling me into his lap.
"How was dinner?" Matt asked, barely removing himself from the video game.
"Good, I thought everything went well."
"Yeah, my family really likes her. Especially when she mentioned that she wanted to major in Music Management and Production." Matt nodded his head, jumping slightly when his video game character died.
"Dammit," he hissed, pressing a series of buttons on the controller. " Oh, right. Megs, I fixed your necklace for you." Matt said, glancing at me briefly. "It's in your room."
"Thanks Matt." I exclaimed, patting my brother's knee appreciatively.
"I never have understood that necklace." Josh stated.
"Matt gave it to me when we were little. His favorite animal is a penguin. It reminds me that he's always got my back."
"I should have known that you're favorite animal would be a flightless bird." Josh laughed. Matt scowled.
"If we didn't need your voice, I would punch you in the throat." Both boys began throwing insults back and forth, laughing and joking around with each other. At that moment, I could honestly say I was not worried about my future or any parent drama. I knew for a fact that I hadn't lied to Corlynn when I said Josh made me happy. Hell, I could live in a box and still be happy, as long as I had my boys.