Status: Revising:)

What's a Little Vertigo

Ch.9

"What about this one?" I rotated 90 degrees, to see Mike tightly holding a striped red shirt in his hands. I shook my head and rolled my eyes in one swift movement. How did I get roped into shopping with four boys?
"Mike, what have I told you? We're trying to set an image for the band, not join a barbershop quartet." Josh moaned from a different rack about twenty feet away. Somehow, Matt had volunteered me into going with him, Josh, and the other Marianas Trench boys. I thought we would be going to people watch and maybe even get into a little bit of trouble. Little did I know, however, the boys had other ideas. Apparently, Matt figured, that If Marianas Trench wanted to 'broaden their horizons,' they would have to tweak their style as well. To be completely honest, I really didn't care. Each of the boys had their own style, and I liked that.
"Matt," I groaned. "Why are you doing this to me?" I already knew the exact answer to that question, but I was too stubborn to admit it. I still had yet to tell Josh that I would be leaving for Chicago in a little over two weeks, a move that would take me more than 2000 miles away from my home in Vancouver. I knew Josh would be supportive, but he would also be heartbroken, as soon as he found out that I was keeping this from him. I can't stand the idea of seeing my happy-go-lucky boyfriend hurt. So, I decided to keep pushing the date that I informed him further and further back.
"Megan, I never said that you had to stay with us. Go to a different store or something. Keep yourself busy while we figure this shit out. You don't always need us by your side." Matt urged in a frustrated tone, as Josh entered a nearby dressing room. I frowned, but complied with another shake of my head, sending my long brown hair flying over my right shoulder.
"Alright, I'll see you in a little bit then." I stated, waiting for a response. Matt remained silent, continuing to scavenge through the rack that stood in front of him. Ian glanced at Matt, seeming to be slightly taken aback by his behavior, however, he didn't question, and soon went back to catching the flying shirts that my brother tossed in his direction.
I exited the small store and gazed around at my surroundings, taking everything in. The long corridors that housed the many stores, were filled with people of all shapes and sizes. I guess I would unfortunately be dodging the hoards of people coming my way. I quickly made my way through the hall, nearly running over small children and at one point and elderly man, before I broke away from the crowds, and found myself in what seemed to be a sports apparel store. I had just started browsing through the different sections of clothes when a large figure rammed into me, just about knocking me off of my feet.

I opened my eyes and cried out in pain, watching as dark red blood poured from my mouth and onto the concrete, leaving behind the strong taste of iron. My entire body was bloody and battered, including my chest, which was now exposed due to my torn shirt. I was left alone in the dirt.
Reaching down, I slowly pulled my phone from my front left pocket, ignoring the fact that the screen was now shattered. I quickly pushed ten numbers into the keypad, and placed the broken object onto the ground beside me.
"Megs? Where the hell are you?" I heard Josh scream in anger from the other end. "We've been searching for you for an hour now. Where the hell did you go?" I let out a sob , spitting out more blood onto the pavement. The pain was too much to handle. I could feel my heartbeat racing and throbbing throughout my entire body. "Megan?" my boyfriend questioned, his tone suddenly changed. "What's wrong baby? Where are you?" I took in my surroundings, noticing large steel doors and dumpsters.
"Be…hind the… mall." I wept trying to roll onto my side.
"Honey, I can't hear you." Josh spoke. This time I could hear the worry in his voice.
"Behind the mall." I attempted once again, trying to speak clearer.
"Okay. We're coming to get you. Don't move." Josh said reassuring me, as the line went dead. I don't think I'll be moving anywhere, I thought to myself.
Placing my hand on my cheek, I traced a large gash that ran up from the base of my jaw to the top of my temple.

From in the distance, I could hear Josh yelling my name. His voice quivered in almost a fearful way.
"Do you guys see her yet?" the boy questioned. He must have been talking on the phone, because I couldn't hear anyone respond. "She told me she was behind the mall. I'm back by the dumpsters, but I don't see her over here…" Trying to gain his attention, I let out a strangled cry. "…wait, I think I hear her. She's back behind some dumpsters." I was unsure if he had hung up, but at that point, he began calling my name once again.
"Josh," I wailed. Hoping he would come this way. Fortunately he did.
"Oh my god." Josh said with a gasp. The shaggy haired boy ran to my side and dropped down onto his knees. "Oh my god. What happened?"
I shrieked in pain as I felt him place a hand on my forehead, swiping at the matted, bloody hair that covered my face.
"I'm sorry sweetheart." He said in a raspy voice. I slowly fluttered my eyes open and looked at his face. He was completely pale and his eyes were bloodshot. Was he crying?
"Josh," I whimpered, placing my hand in his lap. "Josh…it hurts. Please…make it stop."
"I know honey. Your brother is on his way. We'll make it stop." The lanky boy looked down, scanning my body, frowning in the process. He suddenly pulled the black t-shirt he had been wearing off, leaving him in a gray undershirt. Curious, I turned my head to look up at his body, I noticed some scars that I had never seen before. "Baby, this is gonna hurt. Okay? But your shirt is ripped, so I'm gonna try and put this one on you. Okay?" Tears welled up in my eyes, as I remembered my torn shirt. This is definitely not how I pictured Josh seeing me without one for the first time. As though he had read my mind, Josh leant down and kissed my forehead "Shhh. It's okay. You're fine. Please don't cry sweetheart." I sniffled and nodded, trying not to scream as Josh placed his shirt over my body.
"Josh? Megan?" I heard my brother yell from around the corner. "Where are you two?"
"We're over here!" Josh responded, lifting me up and off the ground as though I weighed less than a feather.
"Oh my god!" I heard Ian exclaim as we came into viewing distance.
"What the hell happened to her?" Matt yelled, scooping me out of Josh's arms and into his own.
"I don't know man. I found her like this. I cleaned up some of the blood that was on her face. She's in really bad shape."
"We need to get her to a hospital, NOW!" Matt shouted, before taking off towards his car. I suppose shopping would've beat this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't been on in forever!!! I got really caught up with work and school, and I totally spaced out on this! But, I'm back now!! I hope y'all enjoy this! I'm still trying to get back in the swing of things with this whole "writing a story thing" :) thanks for reading!!