On The Ledge

six - be the one adored

Adore - Paramore
_________________

She felt good about where her and James were after the long car ride and she was finally seeing the real Neal come out. The happier one.

They had finally made it to Oshawa and she was suddenly getting nervous the closer they got to his parents house. He could see her twirling one of her rings around her finger and then moving her hands up to her necklace, sliding it back and forth on the silver chain.

"Excited?" he asked while she dropped the necklace down and looked over at him, "I guess, you?"

"I haven't been home since July, so I am kind of excited to see them. I won't have much time when the season starts" she respected the admiration he had for his family. Especially when she wasn't able to see hers so often.

"You're lucky yours is only a six hour drive..."

"Do you miss them?"

"Sometimes" she nodded, "My mom came up when I was going through stuff, my dad called and it seems my siblings were all too busy to really...care"

He had no idea exactly everything she had went through, but he still felt a bit sorry for her, "I'm sorry"

"It's okay, Sidney's been amazing. He's like the big brother I never had"

The car finally stopped in front of a decent sized house with a ravaged garage door, obviously from all those hockey pucks over the years.

"So you grew up here?" she asked.

"Yah" he said looking up at the house, "Alot of memories"

She smiled and pulled her bag over her shoulder. He looked over at her and saw her take a deep breath before walking around the car, "They'll love you" he said.

"How do you know?"

"Well I kinda like you, so..." he smirked and she playfully shoved him before he walked ahead of her towards the door. He swung it open and only a moment later a woman, average height, shoulder length blonde hair, met him and wrapped him in a hug, "Hey mom" he said squeezing her a bit. Liv stood back and watched him greet his dad with a hug as well. Suddenly they all turned around to look at Liv and her cheeks burned red, "Uh, mom, dad, this is Olivia Taylor"

"Everyone calls me Liv though" she said shaking both their hands. They still looked a bit confused, but still gave her a warm greeting.

"Liv" James started, "These are my parents, Deborah and Peter" Liv was beyond nervous. She knew it was supposed to be James' ex standing in her place and she knew she was a stranger, he wouldn't have asked me to come unless he was sure...right?

He looked nervous himself, because the way his parents were looking at him made him nearly regret the decision to bring Liv with him.

"Liv, make yourself at home, Nick can help you take your things to the spare room" Deborah said, "Nick!" she yelled up the stairs, "Help Olivia take her things to the spare bedroom will you?" one who looked like one of James' younger brothers came down and grabbed a couple of Liv's bags, introducing himself.

"James, me and your father can help you take your things downstairs"

He nodded in obedience and gave Liv a reassuring look while his parents followed him down to his basement bedroom. They ended up at the bottom of the stairs and before his things even hit the ground they began asking questions.

"How long has it been since Summer left? A few months?"

"Almost 7 months mom"

"And you're already--"

"Mom, we're friends. I met her through the team because she's doing a spread on the new guy" he pointed to himself and raised an eyebrow, "Yours truly"

"Is that why she's here?"

"She's here because I asked her to come. I really didn't want to come alone, and I couldn't really ask one of the guys to come. I'm missing some exhibition games for this"

She sighed and he looked over at his dad, who had stayed silent since they went downstairs, "Deb, she can't do any harm" his father Peter finally spoke, "She seems like a nice girl, and I think you can trust your son"

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes in meditation for a moment and then opened them before she spoke, "I trust you James" she said putting a hand on his cheek, "Just be careful, alright?"

"I know what I'm doing mom"

"Okay" she nodded once, "Now how about we go meet Liv" James sighed in relief and followed them both upstairs to the other room. Liv sat nervously in their living room and she was fiddling with her ring again, like she had done in the car. His mother greeted her with a smile and his father the same.

"So Olivia" Deborah said as James sat down next to Liv, "James told us you're a writer?"

She just nodded, "Yes, for a local sports magazine. I do some photography as well"

"And he mentioned you're doing an article on him?"

She nodded again, "I am. Mostly about his previous time with Dallas, what his role will be in Pittsburgh, some background information and predictions about his season coming up"

"What do you predict?" her stomach flipped and she completely froze in place. She had no idea what she was supposed to say and she finally looked over at James who looked like he completely trusted her. For some reason she couldn't understand. She swallowed and then cleared her throat, "Although he started slow when traded, I expect a strong season"

He looked over at her for a moment and smiled, and she felt a pang in the pit of her stomach. That reaction seemed to happen alot lately. She responded with a half smile and kept her eyes on the ground, taking a small breath of relief.

"So tell me about yourself" Deborah asked, "Where are you from?"

"Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia"

"Ah, good Canadian girl" Peter said. She chuckled a bit and nodded, "Yes I suppose. Much different than Pittsburgh"

"So you have some things in common with Pittsburgh's star player" he said.

"I grew up with him" she said, "one of my best friends"

"Interesting" Peter's eyes widened and he leaned forward in his chair, intrigued "And he was okay with you coming all this way with him?"

"He trusts me. Plus, James and I are just friends" she smiled big and Peter smirked, like he was holding something back before sitting back in his chair.

Suddenly things seemed to settle down. James' brothers and younger sister piled into the room and she felt less like the spotlight was on her. She felt a bit more at ease. She just listened to the conversation, the jokes, the memories they were running over. Like it was a family reunion.

The whole time she couldn't help but glance at him as he let this other side of him come out. His smile seemed brighter, his eyes were gleaming with every laugh, there was something else that she knew was in there and it was like their chat in the car, the rest of this side was coming out with his family.

When things finally settled down it had gotten late and most had gone to bed. She sat alone with James who was suddenly quiet again when his family wasn't around and she was quietly begging for him to say something.

"Maybe I should just go to bed" she said standing up, "And I'll see you for breakfast"

He stood up in front of her and he was close enough for her to take in his scent and she took a breath, hoping he didn't notice, "Goodnight James"

"Liv" he said before she left the room, "I'm sorry about my mom, she's just really protective"

"It's okay, she's just doing her job"

"My brothers seem to like you" he said with a chuckle. She remembered how much they vyed for her attention, asking all they could about her and how many times his sister Rebecca had slapped them both on the back of the head.

"I like your family, and you're happier around them"

"They keep me sane...somewhat" she looked down at the time on her phone and then back up at him, "It's late"

"Yah..."

"I'll see you in the morning"

"Night Liv"

She went upstairs and sat down on the bed. She did feel out of place here but she felt better when he was next to her. Being in this room alone terrified her, and she didn't understand why.

She changed into a pair of black shorts and one of Sidney's penguins t-shirts, that fit her like a dress, just so she felt a little bit at home. This is the first trip she's taken since rehab, and been away from Sidney. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and cleared her face of any makeup.

She stared up at the white ceiling and her eyes weren't even near heavy. She sat up, laid down, paced the room and before she knew it, it was almost 2am and she wasn't near sleep.

She looked down at her phone and hoped he was still up. She stared at his name for a moment and texted him.

2:03am: You still up?

She waited for a moment and her phone went off.

2:08am: I am...need company?

2:09am: I'll come to you


She stood up and quietly shut the door behind her. She tiptoed slowly down the stairs and with every noise she stopped, hoping no one had caught her. It felt like it had taken half an hour just to make it to the basement, but she did.

It was a fairly good size, and half of it was set up with couches, a la-z-boy and a good sized tv mounted on the wall. There were jerseys on the wall, trophies and medals. Around the corner was his room she guessed and she stood by the stairs before he appeared in a Steelers t-shirt and sweats.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked.

She shook her head and moved a bit closer, "This might sound childish but it's my first trip away without Sidney since--well since things happened and I haven't been sleeping well anyways"

"It's okay, I understand"

They stood there awkwardly for a moment because neither knew what to do or say. Finally he spoke, "I hope this isn't too forward but if you'd rather sleep down here you can--"

"The couch is good. It's not so far from you" she replied.

"Well..." he paused for a minute and she looked at him eagerly, her hands playing with the hem of her t-shirt, "The bed is...big"

"I don't want to put you on the couch in your own house"

He laughed this time and shook his head, "Liv, we can share"

Her heart raced a little faster and she looked down for a minute, "Are you okay with that?"

"Are you okay with that?"

"Yes"

He stood back and ushered her into the room, "Then go for it, forgive the mess"

"It's okay" she said. She kept debating with herself whether to change her mind and just sleep on the couch, but sleeping next to him would be much more comfortable than a leather couch. She swallowed and sat down on the bed facing one way and he sat on the other side facing the other way. It was awkward no doubt, "Maybe I should just go back upstairs"

"You'll never get sleep Liv"

"What does it matter to you?"

He shrugged, "You need sleep"

They turned around to face each other and sighed. Finally they both laid down and stared up at the ceiling. Liv actually was out pretty quickly but James found himself still awake. Summer ran through his head and the thought that he might possibly come face to face with her tomorrow if she still decided to come. He looked over at the girl next to him and wasn't sure how Summer might react if her and Liv did come face to face. He wasn't ready to face so many questions.

James found himself watching her sleep. She was quiet but she tossed and turned now and then, like she was having a bad dream, but when she stopped she breathed a sigh of relief and the smallest smile curved on her lips. Suddenly she turned over in her sleep and wrapped her arm around his waist and rested her head on his chest. He was frozen for a moment because he had never had a woman so close to him since Summer. He couldn't deny that her hair had the slightest scent of strawberries and for a moment it reminded him of Summer. He didn't want to think of Summer, not when Liv was the one holding onto him for dear life. He couldn't lie, he did like the feeling of her next to him and the way her head nuzzled under his chin, he could almost feel her breath on his neck. She was sweet in that moment.